[SOLVED] No Sound Problem

brainstormer

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
I've got a soundcard problem or somewhere else in the system.

ACPI x64-based PC Desktop
It's a Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67 with 12 Gigs of Ram.
It's using Windows 10. The build is 10.0.19043 Build 19034.

It says it has installed:

AMD High Definition Audio Device
High Definition Audio Device
teVirtualMIDI Virtual MIDI driver

I checked on all the drivers and they all say they are updated after I removed them.

I used a program called Driverfix and it wants to install:

te_thinkpad11e-yoga11e_wb64_201602

The machine is an ACPI x64-based PC Desktop. Not sure why the software is recommending a thinkpad driver.

I've owned it for over a year and not had much luck with sound but I've used it for other things successfully.

When I run Troubleshooter for playing audio I notice there are about 10 devices, many doubles. I will disable all the digital and just go for the High Definition Audio Device with Speakers, but it says there is a problem playing sound file and there may not be one installed on the system. I have never used a digital output before relying just on stereo type systems with speakers.

I notice that under Playback tab there are only digital output, speakers, headphones, etc. no High Definition Audio Device. It only shows up under speakers.

It gets stranger:

The driver area for High Definition Audio Device only shows the Driver Details enabled, all the choices for Update Driver, etc. are grayed. The Driver installed looks like all stock Microsoft drivers located in system32 directory.

I'm also having errors with "Add Legacy hardware"
"the installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this device instance."

When I plug in to either of the front inputs neither one activates as headphones plugged in.

Solution
IS the device showing up in "Sounds"? Is it selected as the default output device with a green check mark next to it?

What USB port are you plugging this into, front or rear panel?

Might also want to try a different USB port AND/OR a different USB cable.
First, ditch the driver updaters. They don't fix problems, they cause them. All of them. Every one. Always source, download and install drivers manually unless it's a system like some older laptops that give you no options for doing so and require the use of a manufacturer application to update things. And that's pretty uncommon. So, get your drivers from the manufacturer (Whole system or motherboard manufacturer) almost always. In some cases, like with old hardware using Windows 10, you might simply be at the mercy of whatever Windows update comes up with and you need to specifically look at Windows update, and look at the optional drivers section, in order to find and install some of those.

Do you actually have a physical soundcard add in card installed or is the audio adapter an integrated part of the motherboard on your system?

Knowing the motherboard model, which is generally printed somewhere on the motherboard, or the SPECIFIC prebuilt system model, is probably a requirement in order to find the correct drivers for your sound adapter.

The other issue in play is the fact that your system is so old. While it may "work" with Windows 10, we've seen a lot of systems that halfway worked or didn't work at all, with a lot of older hardware even though it may work with some of it. There may simply not be any drivers available for Windows 10 that are compatible and functional with your soundcard or audio adapter.

brainstormer

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Knowing the motherboard model, which is generally printed somewhere on the motherboard, or the SPECIFIC prebuilt system model, is probably a requirement in order to find the correct drivers for your sound adapter.

Thanks.

Is there any way to find the motherboard model than opening it up? No software that will do that?

When you say SPECIFIC prebuilt system model, not sure what that means. I got it from one of those PC recycle places and is one of many systems I have running. I am happy using Windows 7 on some of them but I need a couple of the Windows 10 systems for sound.

brainstormer

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
I found this: Press the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut to open the Run box, then type msinfo32 and hit Enter to launch Microsoft's System Information Tool. In the System Summary section, look for the the “BaseBoard” entries and they will give you the manufacturer name, model number and version for the motherboard.

ASUSTek Computer INC.
P6T DELUXE V2
Rev 1.xx

So that would also be the type of sound device I'm using, I believe.

on the ASUSTek driver page, I only see Windows 7 and below listed.

Is there a legacy hardware or other option that could work? I'm fairly technical and willing to tweak whatever necessary.

brainstormer

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
The reason I found out about this problem is that I bought an PreSonus AudioBox USB 96. I am new to this device. It has a soundcard in it and I installed the software but I don't see it coming up in Control panel under Output Devices or Input devices.

brainstormer

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
This is the correct driver for that device, if you haven't already installed this one.
https://pae-web.presonusmusic.com/d...reSonus_Universal_Control_Installer-84519.exe

That's strange. I must have installed it, but it's not showing up. I installed some Windows updates, and rebooted.

It must have been removed somehow. I wonder if not having the device plugged in via USB is a problem.

When I go into control panel under Sound Output devices I have 5 disabled Digital Output devices showing up as AMD Higher Definition Audio Device that look the same., one Digital Audio that shows up as HDMI, and one Digital Audio that shows up as S/PDIF.

IS the device showing up in "Sounds"? Is it selected as the default output device with a green check mark next to it?

What USB port are you plugging this into, front or rear panel?

Might also want to try a different USB port AND/OR a different USB cable.

Solution

brainstormer

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
That fixed it by putting it in USB back.

I was in front now I'm in back.

Thank you very much for your help!

There was no green check box, it's just showing up in the Sound Output area.

Jan 21, 2022
I've got a soundcard problem or somewhere else in the system.

ACPI x64-based PC Desktop
It's a Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67 with 12 Gigs of Ram.
It's using Windows 10. The build is 10.0.19043 Build 19034.

It says it has installed:

AMD High Definition Audio Device
High Definition Audio Device
teVirtualMIDI Virtual MIDI driver

I checked on all the drivers and they all say they are updated after I removed them.

I used a program called Driverfix and it wants to install:

te_thinkpad11e-yoga11e_wb64_201602

The machine is an ACPI x64-based PC Desktop. Not sure why the software is recommending a thinkpad driver.

I've owned it for over a year and not had much luck with sound but I've used it for other things successfully.

When I run Troubleshooter for playing audio I notice there are about 10 devices, many doubles. I will disable all the digital and just go for the High Definition Audio Device with Speakers, but it says there is a problem playing sound file and there may not be one installed on the system. I have never used a digital output before relying just on stereo type systems with speakers.

I notice that under Playback tab there are only digital output, speakers, headphones, etc. no High Definition Audio Device. It only shows up under speakers.

It gets stranger:

The driver area for High Definition Audio Device only shows the Driver Details enabled, all the choices for Update Driver, etc. are grayed. The Driver installed looks like all stock Microsoft drivers located in system32 directory.

I'm also having errors with "Add Legacy hardware"
"the installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this device instance."

When I plug in to either of the front inputs neither one activates as headphones plugged in.