No space left on hard drive

Viper350

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Hi, I bought a brand new Windows 7 HP intel pentium laptop a few weeks ago, it has a 700gb hard drive, however a few days into using it I had a pop up telling me that I had low disc space, upon deleting a few things, I managed to free up 20gb but my space continues to lower even after deleting various software. I have nothing on my laptop that takes up anywhere near 100gb let alone 700, what could be the problem ?. Thankyou.

What Partition is the message warning you about ? -- If the manufacturer loaded a recovery partition into a hidden partition on the HDD it might just be windows is reporting that that partition is almost full and not your system partition -- anytime any partition gets to under 10-20% available it will report it to you and if the manufacturer created a small partition to store the recovery files on they usually make it only slightly larger than needed so if windows is set to report on that partition it will always report it as nearly full (even though it is set up to be that way !!)

WHat does my computer report as for your HDD as free and used space ?

Viper350

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011

Thanks for all the replies. My C drive in the my computer section says I have 6.94gb left out of 684gb

IN that case it sounds like you might have a virus or other malware that is affecting the system -- or the HDD is defective and having most of its space marked as BAD sectors that the OS then will no longer use --- Since it is a new system I'd take it in for the store to look at or replace.

cant you find where the files taking the space up are by browsing the hard drive?

thats what i did for the person with the avg problem--the files were so big it was simple to find them--then i

identified avg was causing them

making sure hidden and operating system files were unhidden when looking

Viper350

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011

I'll check. Thanks :)

Viper350

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011

massive help. Thankyou!. Thanks to everyone who helped, it was all useful. :hello: