No Stevenote at Apple's WWDC on June 8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stryk55

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
*Yawn* This is not really that intersting. Jobs will not be at the company forever, so this should come as no surprise to anyone.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Um, big f***ing whoop?

I find it so amazing that people slurp down so much Apple Kool-aid that they make Jobbs out to be some sort of god.

war2k9

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]Um, big f***ing whoop?I find it so amazing that people slurp down so much Apple Kool-aid that they make Jobbs out to be some sort of god.[/citation]

I guest Bill Gate is your god.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]war2k9[/nom]I guest Bill Gate is your god.[/citation]
That's my exact point, he's not. So why is Steve Jobbs yours?

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
[citation][nom]stryk55[/nom]*Yawn* This is not really that intersting. Jobs will not be at the company forever, so this should come as no surprise to anyone.[/citation]
Thing is, when he leaves, they go bankrupt.

alaskan_handyman

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
I think that Apple will do just fine without Steve Jobs at the helm... Apple has quite a bit of cash reserves lying around for a rainy day. The one thing that people fail to understand about Steve Jobs is his ability to take anything that he has and make it a success. He bought Lucas Digital from George Lucas and turned it into Pixar and made the most successful animation company in the process. He also started Next the computer company that Apple bought in order to get him back... OS X is what NextStep was destined to become. Steve Jobs is a visionary businessman that is right more often than not, not a deity.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]the_one111[/nom]Thing is, when he leaves, they go bankrupt.[/citation]

He has been gone for the past 6 months... and during that time Apple had the most profitable non-Christmas quarter EVER. If that in itself isn't remarkable enough that quarter came as the economy was (and is) collapsing and hundreds of thousands of citizens were losing their jobs each month.

If you are praying for a downfall of Apple perhaps you should wish for Jobs to come back because they do better without him.

neosoul

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
He has been gone for the past 6 months... and during that time Apple had the most profitable non-Christmas quarter EVER. If that in itself isn't remarkable enough that quarter came as the economy was (and is) collapsing and hundreds of thousands of citizens were losing their jobs each month.

If you are praying for a downfall of Apple perhaps you should wish for Jobs to come back because they do better without him.

Product design to consumer cycle is a bit longer than 6 months buddy. Not that I'm a fan, but those are still 'his' products that got that profitable quarter.

Usually its 1 to 2 years before you see the later managements product come in revenue play. But with Steve's ego maniacal vision and leadership, who the hell knows when they'll truly finish using up his ideas.

alaskan_handyman

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Apple has enough good things going for it now that they will have plenty of reserves set aside when they do have a downturn in productivity. I only see the iPhone, iPod, iTunes Music Store market growing and that has been their biggest revenue stream. Their computers are a separate business altogether but even that is growing in market share. Apple says that they are not building a netbook, and that is probably true to a certain extent, they more than likely have something better already in the pipeline. If they keep going in the direction that they are now its only going to get better.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]alaskan_handyman[/nom]Their computers are a separate business altogether but even that is growing in market share.[/citation]
Actually, it's down:
http://digg.com/apple/Apple_s_US_Market_Share_Slips_in_1Q_2009

[citation][nom]alaskan_handyman[/nom]Apple says that they are not building a netbook, and that is probably true to a certain extent, they more than likely have something better already in the pipeline.[/citation]
I doubt it. The fact of the matter is if Apple created a product that was affordable to everyone, their market share would swell. While that may seem great on paper, OSX security is analogous to an infant's immune system, sure it's healthy, but that's because of the amount it's exposed to.

Once the market share swells large enough for anyone to actually care, OSX will face huge problems and security concerns only possible in some of the most hardened IT professionals nightmares.

You seem different from most Mactards, so I +1'd your post for that (you presented some real information that wasn't parroted from Apple's marketing).

alaskan_handyman

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]You seem different from most Mactards.[/citation]

First off I would say that anyone who considers someone else a Mactard needs to grow up a bit. First and foremost I am a computer user probably the likes that you have never met before. My first computer was a Texas Instruments TI 99-4A, I programmed in Basic on it to my hearts content while growing up. I moved from that to A TRS-80, and by the time I was in college I was using Digital Unix and VAX systems. I went from college into the US Navy where it was my privilege to work on SGI Indy and Onyx workstations, SUN Sparc stations, HP PA-RISC systems running HP-UX. Not to mention the multitude of Dell Opti-plex workstations running Windows NT 4, in Classified and Unclassified networks. OS X is rock solid BSD UNIX under the hood, and If you can get past my paranoid firewalls and other third party security software please feel free. Think before you put your thoughts to your keyboard. You only end up making your self look like an idiot.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]alaskan_handyman[/nom]OS X is rock solid BSD UNIX under the hood[/citation]
Is that why it always falls first at Pwn2own?

[citation][nom]alaskan_handyman[/nom]and If you can get past my paranoid firewalls and other third party security software please feel free.[/citation]
That would be true of any OS.

But you ignore the fact that no one is all that interested in you. The fact of the matter is Apple prides itself on having an operating system where you don't have to understand or learn, making them a perfect target for malware developers looking to compile large lists for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.