No TPM option in the BIOS

Thomas_25

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2015
My current laptop is a Lenovo Thinkpad E470 (20H2 model) ( i7 7500u). With the announcement of Windows 11, I was stumped to find out that one of the hard floor requirements of the new OS was a Trusted Platform Module (TPM >=2.0) to be present within the system. I had typed the command tpm.msc in Run and was told that " A compatible trusted platform module cannot be found on this computer" and that I needed to verify if this option was turned on in the BIOS.

When I accessed my BIOS , under the security tab , there should have been an option called Security Chip ( I knew there was such an option only upon looking into manuals and videos about accessing the BIOS of this particular computer). Such an option does not exist in my BIOS. According to the manual and the Lenovo PSREF website certain models of the Thinkpad E470 did not come with a "Security Chip" ( I could not find any resources for my Thinkpad 20H2 on the PSREF website).
But on the E470 Platform Specifications page, it also says that laptops without the discrete TPMs, come with an " fTPM2.0: Firmware TPM 2.0, integrated in chipset".

https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad_E470/ThinkPad_E470_Spec.PDF

I just want to find out if there is any way to enable TPM in my machine so that I can upgrade to Windows 11 when it releases.

PS: I have already updated the BIOS with the Lenovo Vantage app and I've also tried installing an update for the TPM ( for other E470's) and it returned with the same message that a compatible TPM couldn't be found or hasn't been enabled in the BIOS.
PPS: The only thing I've changed are the SSD(SanDisk 256gb -->Crucial MX500 512gb ) and the ram (8gb --> 16gb ).

Thomas_25

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2015
UjJRq9E.jpg

T4URTge.jpg
post pictures from your bios settings from security and boot/startup pages

i believe u will need to contact lenovo about this, as far i can tell...all that tpm update/switch from infineon to ftpm stuffs on lenovo website are for older models (up to 2017 models with broadwell or better cpu)

just in case...
in windows hit Win + R and type tpm.msc then press enter
what does it says?

Reactions: Thomas_25

Thomas_25

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2015
i believe u will need to contact lenovo about this, as far i can tell...all that tpm update/switch from infineon to ftpm stuffs on lenovo website are for older models (up to 2017 models with broadwell or better cpu)

just in case...
in windows hit Win + R and type tpm.msc then press enter
what does it says?
z0dCL9S.png

USAFRet

Titan
My current laptop is a Lenovo Thinkpad E470 (20H2 model) ( i7 7500u). With the announcement of Windows 11, I was stumped to find out that one of the hard floor requirements of the new OS was a Trusted Platform Module (TPM >=2.0) to be present within the system.
Slowly but surely, manufacturers will/should be publishing lists of what motherboards and systems are Win 11 capable.

Biostar did just today.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/biostar-motherboard-windows-11-support

Patience.

Reactions: Thomas_25