No upgrade now, but saving future possibility?

Darkmoore

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015
Hi,

I don't want to upgrade my Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 yet, as not all of my necessary software is supported yet, but I certainly want to take advantage of the free upgrade offered until July 29th. My Windows 8.1 key is an upgrade only-key (from Win 7). Any solutions? I thought of setting up a different Windows PC with my key and then upgrading to Win 10, while leaving my Win 8.1-PC as it is, but is this even possible and will my 8.1-PC stay usable or will it have problems with its licence?

Thanks!

Solution
No way, you have to install/upgrade and activate W10 on that same computer to retain right to free W10 after the deadline.
One way would be to make full backup of your system drive using let's say Macrium Reflect, upgrade your W8 to 10 and activate it. After that you can go back to W8 by restoring MR image until you are ready to install W10 again. It will automatically activate but on that same computer only.
No way, you have to install/upgrade and activate W10 on that same computer to retain right to free W10 after the deadline.
One way would be to make full backup of your system drive using let's say Macrium Reflect, upgrade your W8 to 10 and activate it. After that you can go back to W8 by restoring MR image until you are ready to install W10 again. It will automatically activate but on that same computer only.

Solution