No video display on PC; lights and fans working

Valcor

Reputable
Sep 21, 2014
My computer has stopped showing a display. It's a new build, hadn't even been running for a full week.

The computer stopped working Monday afternoon. Prior to the issue, the video card drivers were frequently crashing, forcing restarts (this was occurring during web browsing; wasn't gaming at the time). I did have video drivers crash when I first set up the system, but they were resolved by using older driver. I would then get a blue screen after logging into Windows (went by too fast for me to read). After a few rounds of this, I stopped getting a video signal all together. Later on, the system was shutting off after a few seconds. Not sure what was causing this, but the issue went away when I removed the motherboard from the case (it wasn't the power button on the case).

Specs:
Intel Core i7-4790K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz) (BX80646I74790K)

ASUS Z97-A ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150 Motherboards Z97-A

EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SC 2GB GDDR5 256 -Bit Dual BIOS Dual-Link DVI-I/DVI-D HDMI DP SLI Ready Graphics Cards with ACX Cooler 02G-P4-2776-KR

G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model F3-2400C10D-16GTX

Rosewill FORTRESS-750 750W Continuous @50°C, Intel Haswell Ready, 80 PLUS PLATINUM, ATX12V v2.31 & EPS12V v2.92, SLI/CrossFire Ready, Active PFC Power Supply

So far, I have tried a few things.
> I made sure all the connections were tight.
> I tried both PCI-E slots for the video card.
> I put the video card in my older system and was able to get a picture.
> I removed the motherboard from the case, and only put in the CPU and 8gb ram. I also reset the CMOS. System booted, but no video from the integrated graphics (tried HDMI, VGA, and DVI) inputs. Also tried with the video card in, still nothing.There is no speaker, so I'm unable to hear beeps.
> I removed the PSU from my old system as used in with the new board. It made no difference.

I'm still able to return the board, but was hoping there was something I was missing.

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
So is the computer currently working when out of the case?

If so, check the motherboard standoffs are in the correct positions for the motherboard holes.

If not, RMA the board.

Also if you want to read the blue screen errors, tap F8 while booting windows and you will have options to disable automatic reboot when system fails.