No Video Display (or maybe no boot?) Help

bowsting

Reputable
Sep 9, 2015
Intro

I have been struggling with a recent issue with my system. Arriving home today I noted that the lighting in my case didn't see quite right though I couldn't tell what it was that was wrong at first. I tried to start up and got no display. From there I inspected further....

Without Changing Anything

From default when I attempted start up everything seemed to cycle as normal however my graphics card would glow orange and then flash red from its LEDs (my setup is typically blue). Fans would spin up and my water cooler was lit but the LEDs embedded in my motherboard are not lit. I attempted to get display directly from the onboard graphics but got nothing there either. The orange pwr_led is lit up on my board but from Asus documentation it appears that's normal and I've just never noticed it before.

Attempted Solutions

1. Re-seating Power Cables - I went through each power cable to double check they were seated correctly both in the PSU and in their destination locations. No change in outcome.

2. Checking Ram - I checked my ram modules by attempting to use each of my two modules individually. It wouldn't boot with either module.

3. Checking Video Card - I removed the video card and attempted to get display from onboard graphics alone. I still did not receive any display.

4. Clear CMOS - I attempted to clear CMOS using the jumper. When I tried to start up I actually got the boot error light on my board lit up. This was the last thing I tried. I am going to attempt a full CMOS clear with the battery removed next but I had to go to work.

Next Steps That I Can Think Of

I can only really think of 3 things left for me to try....

1. The full CMOS clear mentioned above

2. Trying a different PSU in my system

3. Find another CPU to try in my board/another system to try my CPU in

If anyone has any other ideas I would really appreciate it. I really really don't want to get to that third step unless I really have to so any other things to try would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Basic System Specs

Mobo: Asus z270 Strix Gaming
CPU: 7700 (Or 7600, honestly I forget, I have to check when I'm home)
Memory: 8gbx2 DDR4
GPU: Asus 1080 Strix
Storage: M.2 and HDD
PSU: EVGA Supernova 850 G3

Solution
Unplug the power cord from the PSU.
Disconnect any hard drives and USB devices if you have any connected.
Disconnect any USB headers from the motherboard.
Leave one RAM stick.
Plug the power cord back and power On.
Can you get into the BIOS?

bowsting

Reputable
Sep 9, 2015

That was after I cleared the CMOS and it was the Boot_Device_LED that lit up

Unplug the power cord from the PSU.
Disconnect any hard drives and USB devices if you have any connected.
Disconnect any USB headers from the motherboard.
Leave one RAM stick.
Plug the power cord back and power On.
Can you get into the BIOS?

Solution