[SOLVED] No video if GPU inserted ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 19, 2024
Hi,
I'm building a tower with an MSI Z77A-G43 500 watt power supply.

I do have a video output when I just plug it into the VGA of the CPU. But as soon as I plug in a graphics card, no video signal!

I tried a GeForce 1060, a Radeon R7 370, an MSI N560GTX and a Sapphire HD 5750 without success. Once inserted into the slot, plugged in or not. Simply inserting the card into the slot is enough to create the problem. I tried the 2 available slots.

I wiped the bios by removing the battery, the usual thing. I don't understand where this comes from. I even flashed the latest bios found on the MSI site.

I should point out that I did the same manipulations with another motherboard, the same. The CMs work, they were installed on other PCs.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I do have a video output when I just plug it into the VGA of the CPU. But as soon as I plug in a graphics card, no video signal!

I tried a GeForce 1060, a Radeon R7 370, an MSI N560GTX and a Sapphire HD 5750 without success. Once inserted into the slot, plugged in or not. Simply inserting the card into the slot is enough to create the problem. I tried the 2 available slots.

I wiped the bios by removing the battery, the usual thing. I don't understand where this comes from. I even flashed the latest bios found on the MSI site.

I should point out that I did the same manipulations with another motherboard, the same. The CMs work, they were installed on other PCs.

Thanks in advance.
Are you connecting monitor to GPU ?

Reactions: boju
Apr 19, 2024
I don't connect the card, it's just in the slot.
But since this power supply is 10 years old, I think it has become weak.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I don't connect the card, it's just in the slot.
But since this power supply is 10 years old, I think it has become weak.

That's not what he meant, he means attach the video cable to the back of the graphics card... Sounds like that is exactly what you're not doing.

Psu needs replacing regardless i agree.

Last edited:
Reactions: CountMike

Countess_C

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
So you inserted the card in the slot, connected the power cable from the PSU to it and plugged in the cable from the monitor to the back of the card, and you get no signal?

Sometimes people forget to move the monitor cable from the motherboard's onboard graphics to the separate graphics card.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
Hi,

Actually, you didn't explain it clearly in the first post.

Is the monitor cable still plugged into that same "VGA of the CPU" port?
Does "plug in a graphics card" mean all you did was insert the card into the motherboard PCIE slot, without moving the monitor cable?
Or did you unplug the monitor cable from the previous video port, and reconnect the monitor cable to the ports on the back of the graphics card?
Did you plug the additional power cables from the power supply into the graphics cards as well?
Once again... do you mean that you just inserted the graphics card into the slot, without moving the monitor cable to the graphics card's video ports?

What does "the CMs work" mean?
Thanks in advance.
Assuming that you plugged the graphics card in the motherboard PCIE slot, AND plugged in the power supply cable into the graphics card, AND connected the monitor cable to the back of the graphics card...

Did you check the BIOS to see if it's sending the video signal to the graphics card, and not still sending it to the CPU's graphics output?

*phew*

Apr 19, 2024
I found the problem. I replaced the old 500w power supply with a 600w one and it works. I think the 500w power supply had aged a lot.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The old power supply wasn't even a good power supply when it was a new one.

What did you replace it with? Hopefully something of better quality so you're not back here in six months or a year with the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.