No video or usb power on PC

whitmer50

Reputable
Jun 9, 2015
I had a Ryzen 5 1600 build in an ITX form and everything ran smoothly. I recently purchased 16gb of DDR4 3000mhz RAM (originally had 8gb 2133mhz stick that worked fine too) which technically wasnt supported with my motherboard but overclocked perfectly fine to 2933 via bios. I also had it paired with a 1060 3gb and Corsair 550w psu. Everything ran smoothly. I purchased a mini gtx 1070 from ebay which had been repaired by the manufacturer due to some power issue according to the seller. He assured me the card was fixed and functional.

When I put the new card into my pc, I no longer received an image on my monitor, and no power to my USB devices (keyboard, mouse, ext. hdd, etc). I had assumed maybe my psu blew or my motherboard went out. I proceeded to replace both (upgraded to 650w Corsair PSU) and am still having the same exact issue. Even with the GPU unplugged from the motherboard, im getting no power to any of my usb devices. Could this potentially be due to my RAM dying out (I decided to ditch the ITX build and go full due to pricing issues) and my new case has not come in yet though I did try an out of case test build to see if everything would boot up. I havent tried switching to 1 stick of RAM at a time or even put in the old 2133mhz stick.

Or could the issue be due to the gpu itself? I couldnt imagine a GPU could cause a computer to essentially not boot and no power to USB, but im honestly not sure. Im praying its just faulty RAM (will test tomorrow when my case comes in and I can build).

Side note: when I power the computer on, all motherboard lights turn on, the cpu cooler fan spins, and the gpu fan spins and then stops (im sure it does this normally as its not under load). So it seems like im getting some power and functionality. But no video or power to any of my usb devices. Also no sounds, like no beeps or anything. Tried searching around for answers to this and havent been able to find much help

Killer MO

Reputable
Aug 10, 2015
It's probably from the memory overclock. Even a slightly overclocking to cpu over the limit can cause full pc unstability, like no video signal or no keyboard detected (it happened also to linus when he was oc a server cpu). The ram oc over the limit will change some pci or cpu settings too in order to run at that speed so try to reset to default frequencies.
Try this:

Reset the cmos ( there should be a jumper for that). Locate the small round button battery on the motherboard. Near it there should be a three pin jumper block with a jumper bridging two of the pins. Turn your computer off first, pull the power chord from the back of the power supply, then move the jumper over to the other two pins, i.e., from pins 1-2 to pins 2-3 for a few seconds. If you are unsure as to location of the jumper block, consult your motherboard owner's manual. Move the jumper back to pins 1-2, reconnect the power chord and restart the computer.
If that doesn't work try inserting the ram into another slot.

whitmer50

Reputable
Jun 9, 2015

Will those overclocks still hold even if I changed motherboards? I went from a ASROCK b350 itx board to a MSI b350 atx board. I didnt clear my m.2 drive before connecting it to the new board. Still I thought changing mobos would have reset any overclocks or bios-esque settings.