[SOLVED] No video output after my newly built system had an odd crash

Aug 7, 2022
So yesterday I built a mostly new PC, only reusing my old 980 GPU. It was working great for a couple hours until I tried launching a game. When it was launching, my screen went black and my fans ramped up to 100%. I let it stay that way for a minute, after which I held down the power button to turn it off.

After that I couldn't get a video output no matter what I did. Usually it just lights up a VGA diagnostic light and then the fans keep spinning at a low RPM. Here are the things I've tried so far:
  • Reset bios settings
  • Hold F2/Del while powering up
  • HDMI instead of DisplayPort
  • Moving the GPU to a different slot
  • Removing the GPU and trying integrated graphics
  • Checking all PSU connections
  • Flashing the bios to the newest version
At this point I have no idea what to do. I'm planning to send my motherboard and CPU to be checked at a repair shop, as I think they're the main suspects.

Here are the parts I'm using: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/whyWzf
And here's a video of it not booting:
View: https://youtu.be/FNkwTHXcH1U

Last edited:
Solution
Nevermind, I don't think it's my CPU or motherboard after all! I didn't know that standard Ryzen CPUs don't come with integrated graphics and the first result for "5900x integrated graphics" was some straight up false info from bestbuy.

So now that I know integrated graphics aren't an option in the first place, I took a closer look at my GPU. Lo and behold, when I slotted it into my old PC, where this exact setup had worked, it gave me the exact same symptoms! So I think it's pretty safe to conclude that my old GPU just went and died, and I should buy a new one.
Aug 7, 2022
Nevermind, I don't think it's my CPU or motherboard after all! I didn't know that standard Ryzen CPUs don't come with integrated graphics and the first result for "5900x integrated graphics" was some straight up false info from bestbuy.

So now that I know integrated graphics aren't an option in the first place, I took a closer look at my GPU. Lo and behold, when I slotted it into my old PC, where this exact setup had worked, it gave me the exact same symptoms! So I think it's pretty safe to conclude that my old GPU just went and died, and I should buy a new one.

Solution