No video output on boot (I have read many articles)

takaomatt

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017
First off, I have read this as every article asks! http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

I have tried many many things, but perhaps my latest state is the simplest to troubleshoot:

I have removed the graphics card and hard drives, so the setup just includes the motherboard, CPU, and one stick of RAM (details of components below). I have connected the mouse, keyboard, and monitor through DVI.

Upon booting, fans spin up as expected, mouse and keyboard light up. When I hit the CAPS lock button, the LED on my keyboard toggles, which according to one of the articles I read seems to mean that the CPU is booting?

However, throughout several hours of testing and following guides, I haven't seen so much as a flicker of video output on DVI or HDMI. Is there enough information here to at least know which component is not working?

Parts:
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor

Motherboard *Asus - PRIME B350M-A/CSM Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard

Memory *G.Skill - Aegis 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

Video Card Zotac - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB AMP! Edition Video Card

Solution
Well first, that CPU has no built into GPU so the motherboard won't give off any video output. You need a GPU with that motherboard/CPU combo.

It's deceving because those motherboard are built to handle the Ryzen CPU (no GPU) or an upcoming CPU/GPU combo APU chip, so it works with both, BUT only the onboard video would work with the APU, which you don't have, you only have a CPU.

So you need to put in your GPU and plug your monitor into that.
Well first, that CPU has no built into GPU so the motherboard won't give off any video output. You need a GPU with that motherboard/CPU combo.

It's deceving because those motherboard are built to handle the Ryzen CPU (no GPU) or an upcoming CPU/GPU combo APU chip, so it works with both, BUT only the onboard video would work with the APU, which you don't have, you only have a CPU.

So you need to put in your GPU and plug your monitor into that.

Solution

takaomatt

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017

Thanks! I accidentally ended up trying this and it works now, your answer brings clarity, haha.