[SOLVED] no video output/video output freezes (again)

Nengalore

Honorable
Aug 20, 2016
Been away for a few weeks, so turned on my computer for the first time last night, it was fine for a bit, and then the monitors went black (not noticing any display output), followed by the display coming back, but frozen, and then after about 10 minutes of waiting, the main monitor (still frozen), I dunno how to describe it but sorta displacing so everything looked like it was offset from how it was supposed to be, like most text became illegible as the offset version was overlapping with the normal version.

I force shut down and started back up and it worked fine the rest of the night. Now today I started it up, after a few minutes the display cuts out, and it does not come back. Restart, this time after a few minutes it does the same as the first time, few minutes, display cuts out, then cuts back but this time straight into the displaced way. Restart again, few minutes, display cuts out and doesn't come back.

That's where I am now. I had this problem before, but the frozen display coming back into view is new.

I asked here before, and it was previously solved by replacing my PSU; don't really know where to go this time.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Specs:

Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
CPU: i7 8700k
GPU: Asus Dual RTX 3070
RAM: Adata XPG DDR4 3000mhz 2x8gb
PSU: Corsair RM850x

Edit: if it means anything, I believe the computer is still working behind the scenes, tested by setting up long downloads and leaving it, they were done when I restarted. so it's just the display. (but not the monitors)

Edit 2: was able to get a small picture example of what the displacement thing looks like:
J515nPK_d.webp

Last edited:
Solution
I'm not sure how to restore BIOS, unless you do that by removing the motherboard battery. But would physically removing the GPU not make the computer use the iGPU automatically?

And I did that, I believe the drivers did pop up when searching, I installed them, but it seems to have had no effect.

That's exactly what I did.

In an attempt to avoid confusion, I'll recap what's happened:

Turned on the "iGPU for multi-monitor" or whatever it's called setting in BIOS to use that instead, which works as normal.
I downloaded the 511.65 drivers, booted into safe mode on the iGPU, turned off internet and used DDU to remove the current Nvidia drivers.
Then upon starting the computer back up, the GPU displayed nothing at all, and was no...

Nengalore

Honorable
Aug 20, 2016
Try removing the GPU driver using DDU in safe mode. Then clean install the latest Nvidia driver.
Can I do that while using the integrated graphics or would it not work? 'Cause in my experience, safe mode doesn't fix the issue and I'm worried it'd freeze in the middle of something like that which sounds potentially problematic to me, but what do I know.

Nengalore

Honorable
Aug 20, 2016
Plug only one monitor into the HDMI port on the GPU. Set to use GPU in BIOS. What happens?
Plugging into only the GPU still has no display.

Is there a way of setting it to use the GPU in BIOS other than disabling the iGPU? 'Cause if not then I'm afraid to do that because then I wouldn't be able to access anything anymore.

Not really sure how everything works though, if I were to disable the iGPU in BIOS and it didn't work, would I just have to remove the GPU to reaccess BIOS?

Plugging into only the GPU still has no display.

Is there a way of setting it to use the GPU in BIOS other than disabling the iGPU? 'Cause if not then I'm afraid to do that because then I wouldn't be able to access anything anymore.

Not really sure how everything works though, if I were to disable the iGPU in BIOS and it didn't work, would I just have to remove the GPU to reaccess BIOS?
Remove the GPU from motherboard and see if you can boot into BIOS.

Sometimes removing the video cable from the unused graphics card (either onboard or PCIe card), makes the BIOS use the connected graphics card.

Resetting the BIOS can also work if previous fails.

Also, you may have to shut down the computer for a minute before switching GPUs can work.

Nengalore

Honorable
Aug 20, 2016
Remove the GPU from motherboard and see if you can boot into BIOS.
I'm able to boot into BIOS using the iGPU, my point was if I were to disable the iGPU in BIOS, I would no longer be able to get to BIOS to re-enable it.
Sometimes removing the video cable from the unused graphics card (either onboard or PCIe card), makes the BIOS use the connected graphics card.

Resetting the BIOS can also work if previous fails.

Also, you may have to shut down the computer for a minute before switching GPUs can work.
Yeah, that's what I tried, but unplugging from the motherboard and plugging into the GPU still didn't display anything.

However, it now recognised the card again, popped up as Microsoft Display Adapter which allowed me to install the drivers. But now it does indeed show up as a hidden device in device manager, with the code 45 "this hardware device is not connected to the computer"

I'm able to boot into BIOS using the iGPU, my point was if I were to disable the iGPU in BIOS, I would no longer be able to get to BIOS to re-enable it.
To revert a Bios setting that leaves the display blank, just restore the Bios and restart the computer, preferably shutting it down for a fraction of a minute.

Yeah, that's what I tried, but unplugging from the motherboard and plugging into the GPU still didn't display anything.

However, it now recognized the card again, popped up as Microsoft Display Adapter which allowed me to install the drivers. But now it does indeed show up as a hidden device in device manager, with the code 45 "this hardware device is not connected to the computer"
It probably shows as a hidden device if it doesn't find the right Nvidia driver... see if you can find it among the drivers that appear after clicking "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" or among those that appear as you uncheck the box... if the Nvidia driver doesn't appear here, try reinstalling it fresh from an Nvidia download... https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/187098/en-us If it doesn't work immediately, restart the computer and try again. You should also have the specific driver included in the disc that was included in the Asus Dual RTX 3070 box... it may be an earlier and outdated driver but if it's the only available option to get the GPU working, updating it may become easier.

However, it now recognised the card again, popped up as Microsoft Display Adapter which allowed me to install the drivers. But now it does indeed show up as a hidden device in device manager, with the code 45 "this hardware device is not connected to the computer"
Have the correct Nvidia driver downloaded. Boot into safe mode and use DDU to remove old GPU driver. Before restarting from DDU, disconnect from internet(either unplug ethernet or disable Wi-Fi). Then once back in Windows install Nvidia driver.

Nengalore

Honorable
Aug 20, 2016
To revert a Bios setting that leaves the display blank, just restore the Bios and restart the computer, preferably shutting it down for a fraction of a minute.

It probably shows as a hidden device if it doesn't find the right Nvidia driver... see if you can find it among the drivers that appear after clicking "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" or among those that appear as you uncheck the box... if the Nvidia driver doesn't appear here, try reinstalling it fresh from an Nvidia download... https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/187098/en-us If it doesn't work immediately, restart the computer and try again. You should also have the specific driver included in the disc that was included in the Asus Dual RTX 3070 box... it may be an earlier and outdated driver but if it's the only available option to get the GPU working, updating it may become easier.
I'm not sure how to restore BIOS, unless you do that by removing the motherboard battery. But would physically removing the GPU not make the computer use the iGPU automatically?

And I did that, I believe the drivers did pop up when searching, I installed them, but it seems to have had no effect.
Have the correct Nvidia driver downloaded. Boot into safe mode and use DDU to remove old GPU driver. Before restarting from DDU, disconnect from internet(either unplug ethernet or disable Wi-Fi). Then once back in Windows install Nvidia driver.

Turned on the "iGPU for multi-monitor" or whatever it's called setting in BIOS to use that instead, which works as normal.
I downloaded the 511.65 drivers, booted into safe mode on the iGPU, turned off internet and used DDU to remove the current Nvidia drivers.
Then upon starting the computer back up, the GPU displayed nothing at all, and was no longer recognised by the computer and device manager, and therefore I was unable to install the 511.65 drivers.
Later on, I started the computer again and this time the GPU was recognised as Microsoft Display Adapter, which did allow me to install the 511.65 drivers.
After installing them and restarting, it was recognised as the 3070, but as a hidden device which it claims is not connected to the computer.
I allowed it to search for drivers on my computer and installed those, which seems to have had no effect. That's where I am now.
Also, after checking BIOS, PCIe is still set as the primary graphics adapter, but I'm not sure that BIOS recognises the GPU either.

So, starting over, where should I go from here?

Sorry for any confusion, and thanks for helping.

Last edited:

Then upon starting the computer back up, the GPU displayed nothing at all, and was no longer recognised by the computer and device manager, and therefore I was unable to install the 511.65 drivers.
Later on, I started the computer again and this time the GPU was recognised as Microsoft Display Adapter, which did allow me to install the 511.65 drivers.
After installing them and restarting, it was recognised as the 3070, but as a hidden device which it claims is not connected to the computer.
I allowed it to search for drivers on my computer and installed those, which seems to have had no effect. That's where I am now.
Also, after checking BIOS, PCIe is still set as the primary graphics adapter, but I'm not sure that BIOS recognises the GPU either.

So, starting over, where should I go from here?

Sorry for any confusion, and thanks for helping.
Ok the last thing I can say is make sure the GPU is fully inserted into pcie slot and has two separate power connectors from PSU. If that doesn't work I'll say the GPU has failed in some way.

Solution

Nengalore

Honorable
Aug 20, 2016
Ok the last thing I can say is make sure the GPU is fully inserted into pcie slot and has two separate power connectors from PSU. If that doesn't work I'll say the GPU has failed in some way.
Okay, I did that, reseated it, checked every connection. It is recognising the card again, and it's displaying as normal with the new drivers. Just have to give it some time to see if it freezes still.

Okay, I did that, reseated it, checked every connection. It is recognizing the card again, and it's displaying as normal with the new drivers. Just have to give it some time to see if it freezes still.

Good to read your card is now working properly... To prevent it from freezing, check the Nvidia Control Panel for GPU settings that may need to be properly configured. Follow the user guide for the RTX 3070 card if/as necessary.
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4756/~/user-guides-for-nvidia-graphics-cards

Just as a closing comment, I would suggest you check all your power connections, including the AC power cable and specially because you have a history with power issues and if you didn't replace the cable along with the PSU, it may need to be replaced 'if' you can remove and insert it into the PSU without much resistance.

I can attest from personal experience that this sort of GPU issues, are very likely caused by low power caused by either a low powered or bad PSU or any bad power connection. And since you'e had the same issue before, my doubt is if you've replaced the AC power cable, and if it is worth a quick check. The PSU AC cable may be loosely fitted, or may not fit tightly... and therefore cause such issues. Some of these cables are so cheap they don't fit tightly from the moment you first connect them, other times they have been connected for a long time and moving the case loosens them gradually. So, keep that in mind and also keep an extra and good AC power cable around just in case the GPU freezes again.

Nengalore

Honorable
Aug 20, 2016
Good to read your card is now working properly... To prevent it from freezing, check the Nvidia Control Panel for GPU settings that may need to be properly configured. Follow the user guide for the RTX 3070 card if/as necessary.
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4756/~/user-guides-for-nvidia-graphics-cards

Just as a closing comment, I would suggest you check all your power connections, including the AC power cable and specially because you have a history with power issues and if you didn't replace the cable along with the PSU, it may need to be replaced 'if' you can remove and insert it into the PSU without much resistance.

I can attest from personal experience that this sort of GPU issues, are very likely caused by low power caused by either a low powered or bad PSU or any bad power connection. And since you'e had the same issue before, my doubt is if you've replaced the AC power cable, and if it is worth a quick check. The PSU AC cable may be loosely fitted, or may not fit tightly... and therefore cause such issues. Some of these cables are so cheap they don't fit tightly from the moment you first connect them, other times they have been connected for a long time and moving the case loosens them gradually. So, keep that in mind and also keep an extra and good AC power cable around just in case the GPU freezes again.
Thanks for the info! I did replace the AC power cable when I replaced the PSU. I did have one question about the PSU cables though:

the case that I use is pretty big, so the interior PSU cables always had these sleeved extensions of some sort (I didn't build the computer myself so I don't know much about them) that I still needed after replacing my PSU.
And I mean it all worked fine until now, but is there any way that those could cause problems, you think? And if the problem persists, would it be worth getting new extensions?

Perhaps there's something wrong with the particular extensions used for the GPU cables, I seem to recall a while back starting up the computer and it thought the GPU was unplugged from the PSU when that was not the case, and unplugging/plugging back in the cables fixed it.

Thanks!

Thanks for the info! I did replace the AC power cable when I replaced the PSU. I did have one question about the PSU cables though:

the case that I use is pretty big, so the interior PSU cables always had these sleeved extensions of some sort (I didn't build the computer myself so I don't know much about them) that I still needed after replacing my PSU.
And I mean it all worked fine until now, but is there any way that those could cause problems, you think? And if the problem persists, would it be worth getting new extensions?

Perhaps there's something wrong with the particular extensions used for the GPU cables, I seem to recall a while back starting up the computer and it thought the GPU was unplugged from the PSU when that was not the case, and unplugging/plugging back in the cables fixed it.

Thanks!
Yeah, I would suspect those sleeved cable extensions were the undoubted cause that time, and if they were once, they could again be the cause of another episode of apparent GPU failure... So, I agree that keeping an extra set of PSU wire extensions would be a wise decision.

This type or extensions, I'd guess?
https://tinyurl.com/ycsvv5qh

Thanks!
So you used random cable extensions? That could definitely be the issue.

Nengalore

Honorable
Aug 20, 2016
Yeah, I would suspect those sleeved cable extensions were the undoubted cause that time, and if they were once, they could again be the cause of another episode of apparent GPU failure... So, I agree that keeping an extra set of PSU wire extensions would be a wise decision.

This type or extensions, I'd guess?
Yeah alright, thanks for the help. I'll see if I can get some extras; maybe they're the issue.

And yeah, they're like those I think, only thinner, more like the classic CableMod ones.
So you used random cable extensions? That could definitely be the issue.
Yeah, aren't extensions universal though? Why would it matter unless the extensions are faulty?

Yeah alright, thanks for the help. I'll see if I can get some extras; maybe they're the issue.

And yeah, they're like those I think, only thinner, more like the classic CableMod ones.

Yeah, aren't extensions universal though? Why would it matter unless the extensions are faulty?
Right!... and as drivinfast247 suggests, since the PSU you're using now is modular, a replacement and longer set of wires to fit the case, would be a better purchase option.

Nengalore

Honorable
Aug 20, 2016
Right!... and as drivinfast247 suggests, since the PSU you're using now is modular, a replacement and longer set of wires to fit the case, would be a better purchase option.
Oh, like longer full replacement wires rather than extensions? What's better about not using extensions, if I may ask?

Also, found out what the extensions are I believe:
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16812987035 (if it means anything)

Last edited: