[SOLVED] No video output

Nengalore

Honorable
Aug 20, 2016
Since last night, when I startup my computer, at some point the video output seems to cut out; as in monitors are still on, everything still on, but they're going to sleep because they don't detect any video. I've two monitors and it happens with both so I don't think it's the monitor.

Sometimes it's a minute after startup, sometimes a few seconds after seeing the lock screen, sometimes don't even see the lock screen. I've tried safe mode which I initially thought was fine but have since discovered just maybe slightly lasts longer. Any ideas?

Thanks

Solution
If you can somehow procure a known good PSU to test in the system that might answer the question as to whether that is the issue you are having.

Nengalore

Honorable
Aug 20, 2016
full system spec? include brand and model of the psu
check cpu/gpu temp?
not sure how detailed you want but:

Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
CPU: i7 8700k
GPU: Asus Dual RTX 3070
RAM: Adata XPG DDR4 3000mhz 2x8gb
the psu was a cheap probably bad one cause at the time I didn't think it mattered; I've been meaning to replace it but haven't had the money or knowledge really but according to the sticker the brand is ATNG power, and the model is listed as APED-1150FC-GO

Also uh, as I said I'm not too knowledgeable on these things but how would I check the temps without getting in/without being able to see what the temps are when it happens?

sticker the brand is ATNG power, and the model is listed as APED-1150FC-GO

Also uh, as I said I'm not too knowledgeable on these things but how would I check the temps without getting in/without being able to see what the temps are when it happens?
That PSU is as you thought, a terrible time bomb ticking away.

Try to get into BIOS to see temperatures without having to get to windows. Usually to get into BIOS you need to spam the Delete key on your keyboard as you startup the PC.

Nengalore

Honorable
Aug 20, 2016
That PSU is as you thought, a terrible time bomb ticking away.

Try to get into BIOS to see temperatures without having to get to windows. Usually to get into BIOS you need to spam the Delete key on your keyboard as you startup the PC.
Yeah.

And I tried that but seems now none of the startup is visible so I can't

DSzymborski

Titan
The PSU is really troubling. Not sure how you could afford a $600 GPU that sells for more than $1000 but can't afford to run it on something that isn't absolutely ancient. Hopefully, it's just the PSU and the PSU didn't damage the GPU. It's a bit like buying a Ferrari but not being able to afford the insurance.

Nengalore

Honorable
Aug 20, 2016
If you can somehow procure a known good PSU to test in the system that might answer the question as to whether that is the issue you are having.
Yeah I mean if I had extra components just laying around I'd try them, unfortunately I don't but uh if you think the PSU would be the issue in this particular situation then I guess I should work on that first; it seems clear that I have to replace something, just don't know what. PSU was already on my radar but I dunno if it would be causing this; but then again I don't know anything, that's why I'm here; so you think PSU is #1 priority? might be a while before I can get one

The PSU is really troubling. Not sure how you could afford a $600 GPU that sells for more than $1000 but can't afford to run it on something that isn't absolutely ancient. Hopefully, it's just the PSU and the PSU didn't damage the GPU. It's a bit like buying a Ferrari but not being able to afford the insurance.
yeah, the gpu was essentially a gift/trade the psu was just a poor decision but it's worked for the few years I've had it

Nengalore

Honorable
Aug 20, 2016
Okay, well I don't have another psu but I've ordered one; but I was able to test my gpu in another computer and it seemed to work fine thankfully; so I think that can be eliminated as a potential cause. so that's progress I guess

Reactions: helper800

DSzymborski

Titan
yeah, the gpu was essentially a gift/trade the psu was just a poor decision but it's worked for the few years I've had it

That's not how PSUs work. Low-quality PSUs don't just blow up; they quietly damage your components over the long haul and in many cases, the damage exists long before there are symptoms.

It's like eating a pound of bacon every day for breakfast starting at age 20. If you have a heart attack at 50, it doesn't mean your diet was working for 30 years up until the heart attack; you were damaging your heart quietly over those decades.

Nengalore

Honorable
Aug 20, 2016
That's not how PSUs work. Low-quality PSUs don't just blow up; they quietly damage your components over the long haul and in many cases, the damage exists long before there are symptoms.

It's like eating a pound of bacon every day for breakfast starting at age 20. If you have a heart attack at 50, it doesn't mean your diet was working for 30 years up until the heart attack; you were damaging your heart quietly over those decades.

yeah, I know; hopefully it didn't do too much damage

What PSU did you order? Please link it.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...ply-Units-Advanced/RMx-Series/p/CP-9020180-NA

Nengalore

Honorable
Aug 20, 2016
alright, it arrived and I installed it today and seems like it's working; thanks all, I didn't think it would be the problem. and maybe it stops working again tomorrow but hopefully it's fine; thanks for the help! :)