Question No video signal ? [exhaustive troubleshooting performed]

Oct 5, 2023
Greetings,

I have built many pc's over the years. This is the first time I have encountered an issue that I have been unable to overcome. Any assistance would be appreciated!!!

Please carefully read everything before offering advice.

Hardware:
Motherboard: Asus TUF Z790
CPU: i7-13700
PSU: Asus TUF 750w
RAM: Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 2x32GB
SSD: Samsung 990 PRO 1TB
GPU: ASUS ProArt GeForce RTX™ 4060 Ti 16GB OC Edition GDDR6

All PC parts and cables are brand new, including the monitors. All purchases were made directly from either ASUS or Amazon. All items received were in factory sealed packages.

ISSUE: No matter what I have tried, I get No Video Signal. When I plug in the HDMI or DP cable, the monitor will momentarily show "HDMI1" or "DP" but a few seconds later it will show "No video signal". When the pc is powered on, the RGB on the motherboard lights up, all fans engage, but there is no video signal. I have tried connecting various keyboards but pressing capslock or numlock does not activate the indicator lights.

Troubleshooting steps as follows:

1. Tested monitor ( ASUS TUF Gaming 27" 1080P Monitor VG279Q3A) with another PC using both the HDMI and DP cable. Worked perfectly. I have therefore concluded the monitor, power cable, dp cable and HDMI cable work correctly.

2. Tried using another monitor (LG UltraGear 27GN65S) as above. Same results. Works perfectly with another pc.

In each case when using the monitors with the new pc, I carefully changed the HDMI / DP settings as appropriate.

3. Used the motherboard's HDMI and DP ports rather than the graphic's card. Since the CPU has onboard GPU (it is not "F" version) it should work but does not.

4. Removed the GPU and re-tested 3 above, no change.

5. Confirmed RAM was in correct slots as per ASUS manual, slots A2 and B2 (grey tabs), no change

6. Removed one stick of RAM so only A2 was used. No change. Swapped sticks, no change.

7. Removed SSD and used USB with Windows 11 Creation bootable USB software. No change.

8. Jumped CMOS, no change. Removed battery from motherboard and waited 10 minutes, then replaced. No change.

9. Replaced motherboard with another new motherboard of the same type. No change.

10. Replaced CPU with another brand new CPU. No change.

11. Replaced PSU with another brand new PSU. Also replaced all cables. No change.

After each change I rebooted and carefully tested. The only remaining thoughts I have to try are:

A. Order new RAM. Perhaps both sticks are bad? Will order tomorrow.

B. Flash BIOS. Replacing the motherboard should have resolved any BIOS issues, but can see if this can be done.

C. The only other possibility seems to be multiple brand new part failures.

Am I missing anything? Anything else to try?

Is your wall socket properly grounded with correct polarity?

What cpu cooler are you using?
A motherboard will not start if it does not detect a working cooler.
That may mean a fan connected to the cpu fan header and running at 500rpm.

To simplify things, take all out of the case and connect only the minimum required components
Motherboard
cooler
one stick of ram
Psu (don't forget two 8 pin eps connectors.) Some motherboards may require this.
and connect a monitor directly to the motherboard.
You should be able to see the bios screen.

A basic functionality test is to run memtest which boots from a usb stick.

Oct 5, 2023
Is your wall socket properly grounded with correct polarity?

What cpu cooler are you using?
A motherboard will not start if it does not detect a working cooler.
That may mean a fan connected to the cpu fan header and running at 500rpm.

To simplify things, take all out of the case and connect only the minimum required components
Motherboard
cooler
one stick of ram
Psu (don't forget two 8 pin eps connectors.) Some motherboards may require this.
and connect a monitor directly to the motherboard.
You should be able to see the bios screen.

A basic functionality test is to run memtest which boots from a usb stick.
Regarding the wall socket, the PC is not plugged directly into the wall but rather into my UPS (APC UPS 1500VA Battery Backup Surge Protector, BR1500G Backup Battery Power Supply with AVR). My main pc is also plugged into the same and works perfectly. I believe plugging into this UPS is optimal, but I did try plugging into the wall socket directly. No change.

CPU Cooler - Noctua DH-15 black. IMO it is the best CPU cooler on the market. I love it. It is properly installed and both of it's fans are working. There are 6 screws involved with the installation. I am unaware of how the CPU or Motherboard could detect whether a CPU cooler is installed, aside from the power supplied to the fans.

Right now it is inside the case with minimal components, specifically the ones you mentioned. I could remove it from the case but that would be the same as removing the power cables from the front panel and case fans. There are a total of 4 power cables coming from the PSU: Motherboard, GPU (which is disconnected), case fans and front panel.

I cannot reach memtest as it will not boot....that is the entire issue. No BIOS screen.

I ordered new memory. The only item not replaced is the RAM. When all other possibilities have been removed, whatever remains, no matter how unlikely.......2 bad new sticks of Kingston RAM lol?

If, for example, the NH-D15 fan connectors are not connected to the cpu fan header, but, instead, say to the cpu pump header, the cooler fan would appear to be operating(at full speed which is not much on such a cooler) then the cpu would not detect any rpm on the cpu cooler fan port.
The NH-D15 has a fan splitter to run both fans. Possibly it is defective, or possibly it is not fully inserted.

Something else to check/verify.

Oct 5, 2023
If, for example, the NH-D15 fan connectors are not connected to the cpu fan header, but, instead, say to the cpu pump header, the cooler fan would appear to be operating(at full speed which is not much on such a cooler) then the cpu would not detect any rpm on the cpu cooler fan port.
The NH-D15 has a fan splitter to run both fans. Possibly it is defective, or possibly it is not fully inserted.

Something else to check/verify.
Agreed, but even so, the fans would work but the BIOS or any software which reported fan info would show erroneous data. The last pc I had built for me was air cooled but showed data for a water-cooled fan due to the fan being plugged into the wrong port on the motherboard. Even so, this error would not cause the no video issue.