Question No video signal on first boot, but appears after reboot

Dodoegg

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2014
When I first power on my PC for the day, there's no video signal. But after holding the power button to force shutdown, then powering it on again, it loads up normally. Ocasionally, this first boot will show signal, but video signal will be lost for a second, but will show up again, but after a few seconds is lost again, then shows again and so on until I reboot. After the reboot, everything is completely fine.

When the PC is first powered on and no video signal is showing, none of the debug LEDS on the motherboard are lit, the motherboard being a MSI B450 Tomahawk Max, the lights are labelled BOOT, VGA, DRAM and CPU (I believe these are the labels, they are difficult to read).

All components, except the PSU and GPU, are new and were bought a couple of weeks ago. The PSU and GPU were used in the previous PC with the monitor I currently use and this issue did not occur. I've run through the helpful sticky about no posting (very helpful when it was first built and it wasn't posting) and all that's left is resetting the CMOS, but I'd rather see if there is something simpler I'm overlooking before potentially accidentally busting my new system doing that. It's a small problem overall, but it's a new PC mostly so I'd like to replace any problematic parts while I still can easily. What could be causing this issue?

TRENDING THREADS