No wired connection to router

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim_the_Greek13

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014
So l want to connect to my router with an ethernet cable but for some reason l can't. l can connect with a wireless adapter, but since wired connection is faster l do prefer it. In the network and sharing center l have 2 connections. The first is the wireless connection, and this is working just fine, but below it there's the wired connection saying "Unidentified Network Private Network. In the adapter settings l see these 2 connections again but there's not a local area connection. And that's pretty much it. lf you want to know something more please leave a comment. Oh and by the way l have an Ethernet Card (my mobo does, it's an Asus Gryphon Z87)

You have a modem/router; not a dedicated router. Have you verified the router's IP address? Based on info that you previously provided, your Wi-Fi controller is assigned IP address 192.168.1.1 and the router has IP address 192.168.1.254. What IP range is configured for the DHCP server? I'm asking because your Ethernet controller is not getting an IP address, but unless the cable is defective, it should also get one.

What is the LAN IP address of the router? Is it really 192.168.1.254?

On July 6, 2014 6:06:49 AM, ipconfig shows that the Wi-Fi adapter is using static IP address 192.168.1.1 and on July 6, 2014 2:01:47 PM it shows that it uses dynamic IP address 192.168.1.1. You haven't explained why the IP address was static the first time and dynamic the second time.

http://www.wind.gr/files/1/eksoplismostabs/zxhn_h108l_wireless_adsl_router_maintenance_manual_03.06.13.pdf On page 8 in section Default Settings, it says the factory default IP address of the router is 192.168.1.1; unless you changed it to another IP address, it conflicts with your Wi-Fi adapter. Page 10 of the manual provides info on setting a dynamic or static IP address. Starting on page 25 are instructions on configuring the DHCP server that may be set to Disabled.

Jim_the_Greek13

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014
Oh i forgot, l did something l found online but it was a scam (which didn't let me connect to the internet), so l changed the router to default settings. Yes, the LAN ip address is actually 192.168.1.254. No l didn't change it, and since l changed the router to default settings the ip is still the same (192.168.1.1). Ok so now l have to change it to a static ip address (different than 192.168.1.1), and then enable DHCP???

Jim_the_Greek13

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014
These are my steps: DHCP Server -> Enable DHCP Server (Enabled) -> DHCP Start IP Address:192.168.1.1 -> DHCP End IP Address: What do l type here???

Next

DHCP Binding -> IP Address: (blank) -> MAC Address: (blank)

Jim_the_Greek13

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014
When l typed ipconfig /release, the console said "An error occured while releasing interface Ethernet: An address has not yet been associated with the network endpoint. " What do l do now???

And when l typed ipconfig/renew it said "An error occured while releasing interface Ethernet: unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out."

Do other systems or devices get an IP address, e.g. can your cell phone connect via Wi-Fi? If so, what IP address did it get? As an example, mine gets IP address 192.168.1.100 (the starting address for DHCP). Could you remove your Wi-Fi controller to make sure it doesn't cause the issue?

Jim_the_Greek13

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014
I no longer use my fone to connect to the internet, l do use my tablet tho, but l can't find it's ip address. Also l haven't istalled any type of Wi-Fi controller, but could it be installed by itself??? The only thing l have installed is the adapter's drivers and the Ethernet Card's drivers !!!

Nov 12, 2018
This happens when I introduce my switch, adhering to their setup guidelines, and as they “restart my system “I demonstrate no web association.
I check my net. associations and my lan association 2 is associated, firewalled, yet the Ip and Dns are 169.x.x.x and 192.168.1.1
Typical ip are inside 68-71 for me and my dns is normally 192.168.1.1 or something of the sort.
So can't interface implies I have no chance to get of completing my switch establishment, and through it can't associate with the web to get to Netgear's switch setup website.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Ie7ywJG.jpg

This thread is over four years old.

Closing.
Wolfshadw

Status
Not open for further replies.