News Noctua Air Cooler Dissipates 700W of Power from 56-Core Intel Chip

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Very impressive. Large air cooler for a large -- in terms of power consumption and heat -- CPU. I think a lot of people underestimate what air cooling is capable of. Sure, air cooling doesn't look as slick as an AIO, but it can get the job done for less. I've been happy with my Noctua and Deepcool air coolers.

i have the Noctua NH-D15S Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler , and my gtx has 2 fans , plus i have side front and rear fans , if i did not have lights on the front of my coolermaster haf x tower you would not know it was switched on.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
"Here's our NH-U14S DX-4677 cooling the Intel Xeon w9-3495X at a continuous load of more than 700W!"
The company did not disclose whether the CPU was overclocked
At "continuous load of more than 700 W", it definitely wasn't running at stock settings. That's a 350 W (TDP) CPU:

That article goes on to state:

"These chips will consume more power under full load at their Maximum Turbo Power (MTP) rating, which is 1.2X the PBP. (For instance, the 350W model will peak at 420W"​

So, yeah, I think we can say the processor in Noctua's demo was overclocked.

I'm mostly just surprised that it cools so well without a proper vapor chamber. There's a lot of die area under the heatspreader, but I'd still expect to find some hot spots above it. I guess congrats to Noctua are in order. They continue to impress.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
i have the Noctua NH-D15S Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler , and my gtx has 2 fans , plus i have side front and rear fans , if i did not have lights on the front of my coolermaster haf x tower you would not know it was switched on.
I have 3 Noctua fans in my workstation: 140 mm intake fan, a 150 mm fan on the CPU cooler, and a 120 mm exhaust fan. It's surprisingly loud, even at idle. The PSU fan doesn't run at all, when load is below 50%, nor are there hard drives. My EVGA GPU is whisper quiet, at idle. That tells me the noise is pretty much all from my Noctua fans.

I didn't use any of the low-noise adapters, which would obviously help. However, I care about cooling performance a little more than I care about noise.

And I'm not saying it's loud in absolute terms. Just, louder than I hoped.

Last edited:

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
And then:

"produce up to 24.6 dbA noise."​

That's insanely quiet for that kind of cooling capacity!
Yes, but A-weighting is mostly intended to be used for measuring outdoor noise. It has a narrower frequency window, which results in lower numbers. That's why everyone uses it. However, that means any raspy hiss wouldn't be reflected in the dbA measurements.

C-weighing should be used for audio equipment and (IMO) any appliances or computers you might use in a setting where you're trying to enjoy hi-fi audio.

Reactions: King_V

TechieTwo

Notable
Oct 12, 2022
IME AIO cooling is mostly a gimmick for the average PC user. Many top end HSF cool as good or better than entry level AIO and there is no hassles with fluid leaks, mold, radiators, galvanic reaction, etc. Yes a large HSF requires a case with clearance but as Noctua, Deepcool and other HSF makers have shown, a HSF can be quiet and handle high wattage CPUs just fine.

When I build new PCs I typically run them 24/7 under Prime 95 to stress test them before providing them to customers. IME a quality HSF provides reliable, practical, simple CPU cooling.

ien2222

Distinguished
Yes, but A-weighting is mostly intended to be used for measuring outdoor noise. It has a narrower frequency window, which results in lower numbers. That's why everyone uses it. However, that means any raspy hiss wouldn't be reflected in the dbA measurements.

C-weighing should be used for audio equipment and (IMO) any appliances or computers you might use in a setting where you're trying to enjoy hi-fi audio.

A-weighting is also used extensively for safety in work place environments.

But yeah, A weighting leaves out a lot of info, C is absolutely better, but without a frequency response graphic I'd rather have it Z weighted.

Reactions: bit_user

rkhalloran

Distinguished
May 21, 2012
I've been using the NH-U14 with my 12-core Ryzen 5900x and a) keeps it nicely cool even when doing transcoding across all the cores b) does it quietly. Not surprised they're trying it with one of the server-grade chips.

pulse7

Prominent
Apr 12, 2023
Isn't AIO water cooler just a large thermal buffer with attached fans (=attached Air Cooling)? If you run your PC for hours with max power than the whole water in AIO will be hot after let say half an hour and from this point on everything is the same as with other air coolers... And if that is the case: why bother with AIO? Just get the best Air Cooling - with largest possible radiator - so you will have the largest thermal buffer possible...

Apr 1, 2020
No, I wouldn't say it's impossible, as there are plenty of engines in the automotive and aviation industries rated for kW of power production and are air cooled, all you need is the proper amount of surface area, heat transference material, and airflow.

However, even Noctua admits this was on an open bench and temperatures were 99°C with an ambient temperature of ~20°C (68°F), far cooler than the inside of a case will be.

It's a good technical exercise, but for a $130 cooler of that size it should be able to effectively cool a processor, but it's not particular astounding to me in 2023.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
No, I wouldn't say it's impossible, as there are plenty of engines in the automotive and aviation industries rated for kW of power production and are air cooled, all you need is the proper amount of surface area, heat transference material, and airflow.
I think those heat sources are all running well in excess of 100 C, if I'm not mistaken. The larger the thermal gradient, the easier it usually is to cool.

Brian D Smith

Commendable
Mar 13, 2022
Very impressive. Large air cooler for a large -- in terms of power consumption and heat -- CPU. I think a lot of people underestimate what air cooling is capable of. Sure, air cooling doesn't look as slick as an AIO, but it can get the job done for less. I've been happy with my Noctua and Deepcool air coolers.
+1
Vanity aside, why on earth would anyone prefer a higher price water cooling solution? This sounds like a great aircooler!
I've been shopping for a AMD 7950x rig...and can't find any company which offers air cooling when they will assemble a rig for you. No, I don't want to assemble myself as I am getting old and my eyesight is not great, etc.

Misgar

Notable
Mar 2, 2023
I wouldn't worry too much about assembling and fitting a large Noctua heatsink on a motherboard. Like Brian D Smith, my eyesight's not great but I found it easy to install a Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Black on my 7950X rig.

You have to remove the AMD CPU top bracket whilst retaining the metal back-plate on the underside of the motherboard.

Fit four cylindrical spacers and two curved metal plates in place of the CPU bracket, add a dab of thermal compound, then lower the heatsink down on the CPU.

Line up the two spring-loaded fixings with the curved metal bars, tighten the screws and install the fans. The whole job takes less than 10 minutes.

Given the overhang of the NH-D15, it can be difficult to locate the mobo fan headers when plugging in the fans, which is why I prefer to assemble everything outside the case.

On completion, I lowered the entire motherboard and heatsink/fan assembly into my Lian Li silent PC tower case. It was a tight fit, but the top of the heatsink does not clash with the side panel.

The loudest parts of the system are the rear panel fans and the two 140mm front panel fans cooling 5 hard disks. The Noctua CPU fans are barely audible even when running flat out.

The three NVMe drives with heatsinks run reasonably cool, but there's very little room inside after fitting the NH-D15, GPU, SAS controller card and 10Gbe NIC.

KyaraM

Admirable
At "continuous load of more than 700 W", it definitely wasn't running at stock settings. That's a 350 W (TDP) CPU:

That article goes on to state:

"These chips will consume more power under full load at their Maximum Turbo Power (MTP) rating, which is 1.2X the PBP. (For instance, the 350W model will peak at 420W"​

So, yeah, I think we can say the processor in Noctua's demo was overclocked.

I'm mostly just surprised that it cools so well without a proper vapor chamber. There's a lot of die area under the heatspreader, but I'd still expect to find some hot spots above it. I guess congrats to Noctua are in order. They continue to impress.
Also, I read a German article yesterday that stated that the company did indeed state that...

Misgar

Notable
Mar 2, 2023
I agree Noctua's standard brown colours are an acquired taste, but they've recently added a totally black heatsink and black fan option to some of their range (Chromax Black). Most of my computer cases have solid side panels so the colour doesn't worry me.

Reactions: King_V and bit_user