[SOLVED] NOCTUA NH-D15 - can it fit my case?

Paulie2510

Reputable
Mar 4, 2016
Hi, I am doing a new build - I decided for this noctua cooler because I will not overclock and my CPU is ryzen 9 5950x.

I want to know:
Can it fit my case?
Can this giant cooler somehow damage my motherboard because of the weight?

Here are my specs:
  • Motherboard - GIGABYTE B550 AORUS PRO
  • CASE - Fractal Design Meshify 2 Black Solid
  • CPU - ryzen 9 5950x.
  • GPU - undecided 3080 or 3090 - nothing is available :(
  • RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
  • PSU - be quiet! Straight Power 11 1000W BN309

I have not bought the motherboard, RAM, case or PSU yet.

Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
You have 20mm of clearance left which is perfect since you wont have any trouble clossing the side panel or anything.
Not quite, but you are right in that it will fit in the chassis.
The D15's front fan does sit over ram, and the Ripjaws V is taller than the 32mm normally allowed beneath the fan, so it will need to be raised.
Ripjaws V is 42mm tall, so the front fan needs to be raised 11mm - 1 extra mm so that the fan and ram aren't touching.
NH-D15 is now 176mm.

@Paulie2510
Today's coolers mounting systems are designed to spread their weight over the entire board, and the board shares that with the chassis via the standoffs.
There is hardly any cpu that the NH-D15 cant cool even when overclocked.That thing is a beast.
No CPU cooler is built to damage your motherboard.Thats why every cooler has its own mounting mechanism,to be safe and cool efficiently.If you dont mount it the correct way,your cpu might suffer from high temps.Its not that hard to mount NH-D15,just follow the quide in the manual.
The Fractal Design Meshify 2 Black Solid supports up to 185mm cpu cooler height.
The NH-D15 is 165mm tall.
You have 20mm of clearance left which is perfect since you wont have any trouble clossing the side panel or anything.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The D15's front fan does sit over ram, and the Ripjaws V is taller than the 32mm normally allowed beneath the fan, so it will need to be raised.
Ripjaws V is 42mm tall, so the front fan needs to be raised 11mm - 1 extra mm so that the fan and ram aren't touching.
NH-D15 is now 176mm.

@Paulie2510
Today's coolers mounting systems are designed to spread their weight over the entire board, and the board shares that with the chassis via the standoffs.

Solution
NH-D15 is now 176mm.

@Paulie2510
Thx for info