[SOLVED] Noctua NH-d15 CPU cooler RAM clearance

Palps93

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
Hey all. I'm replacing my old AIO with a Noctua NH-D15 cpu cooler. I am rebuilding my PC in a new case and did not pay attention to the ram clearance issue... My ram is too tall (vengeance pro rgb 51mm) to make clearance with the intake 140m CPU fan. AND my case is too narrow to slide it up the rad.
Do you guys see an issue with putting the NH-d15 cooler blowing air upwards? I can put a 140m fan at the top of the case to help?

Solution
You have the ability to try a couple of solutions.
I think directing the hot air straight out the back is likely to be the best.
Exit fans on top will tend to draw the fresh air directly out the top, bypassing the cpu cooler.
What is the make/model of your case?
If you rotate the cooler 90 degrees, I suspect that what was the front fan will impact your graphics card.

The cooler works perfectly well without the front fan at all.
Or, possibly, you can relocate the front fan to the rear as a puller.

Another possible option would be to replace he front 140mm fan with a 120mm fan.

If you have a return option, the NH-D15s is a high compatibility version that will clear tall ram.

Palps93

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
What is the make/model of your case?
If you rotate the cooler 90 degrees, I suspect that what was the front fan will impact your graphics card.

The cooler works perfectly well without the front fan at all.
Or, possibly, you can relocate the front fan to the rear as a puller.

Another possible option would be to replace he front 140mm fan with a 120mm fan.

If you have a return option, the NH-D15s is a high compatibility version that will clear tall ram.

So I have a narrow case that can just barely fit the noctua cooler (Fractal Meshify 2 compact). If i rotate the fan to blow upwards, it would exit the top of the case. My z390 mobo is reasonably spaced so my gpu is not too close. I also have a noctua 120mm fan i could use in lieu of the 140, yes. I just figured blowing to the top might be an easy fix since its not messing with the gpu and i could continure to use both 140m fans. I also have 3x 120mm intake fans so thats why im not too worried about thermal perfomance

You have the ability to try a couple of solutions.
I think directing the hot air straight out the back is likely to be the best.
Exit fans on top will tend to draw the fresh air directly out the top, bypassing the cpu cooler.

Solution