News Noctua NH-D15 G2 update has quieter fans, more heatpipes, new offset design

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheHerald

Upstanding
Feb 15, 2024
I got the NH-U12A chroma black and I love its rather medium size and how well it cools my 7950x. Doing some tests show limiting its fans at only ~80% speed at full hard bench marking makes no practical difference in process times, maybe a few seconds off while doing the same work. I cant see this making much of a difference, its clear if you want a noticeable difference you need water cooling. I'm thinking of going water cooled to keep my cpu temp down in the name of prolonging the life of my system, less heat means less potential for cpu degradation in longterm and mobo damage from high heat.
We have never seen cpus running this hot before, its just happened, no longterm data or anything, best to play it safe if you want max longevity.

Air coolers can only do so much, they cant compare to the constant bombardment of fresh water. Water has truly terrible thermal conductivity and diffusivity and yet it doesn't really matter because constant flow of cool water in the block just does wonders.

And what is with the silvery look with brown fans? yuk!

Its the IHS on your 7950x that is the issue. It's kinda "easy" to get a 3rd party IHS and delid it and youll see a 12-15c temperature drop. Add liquid metal to the mix and youll be no longer hitting 95c - even with the u12a. A watercooler can't do much for you, the problem is the heat being trapped between the IHS and the dies, very small contact area.

Reactions: bit_user

TRENDING THREADS