[SOLVED] Noctua NH-D15 memory clearance?

Kalik212

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015
I'm gathering parts for a new Zen 2/Zen 3 build...the Noctua NH-D15 was my first choice in terms of CPU cooler but I'm not sure if my memory will fit...I want to get the G.Skill TridentZ Neo which is said to have a height of ~45mm...according to the Noctua NH-D15 specs it shows a max clearance of 32mm...but I've seen other people say it'll fit...anyone have any first hand knowledge about this?

if I can't get the NH-D15 anyone have any other recommendations...the mobo is the MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi

Last edited:
Solution
NH-D15: 165mm, with a ram clearance of 32mm. Any modules taller than that will force the front fan to be raised.
A naked stick of ram is 30mm, so 2mm of overhead for low profile memory.
G. Skill Trident Z is 44mm.
The front fan will need to be raised approximately 12mm - more like 13mm, because you don't want the fan actually touching the ram due to vibrations - increasing the total height of the NH-D15 to 178mm.

If your chassis does not support cpu air coolers of that height, then you could move the front fan behind the 2nd tower... but having personally experimented with fan setup on my NH-D15S:
Their NF-A15s, A14s, and F12s(all the ones I've tried so far) do not like being used as pull fans on the heatsink; they make this audible...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
NH-D15: 165mm, with a ram clearance of 32mm. Any modules taller than that will force the front fan to be raised.
The front fan will need to be raised approximately 12mm - more like 13mm, because you don't want the fan actually touching the ram due to vibrations - increasing the total height of the NH-D15 to 178mm.

If your chassis does not support cpu air coolers of that height, then you could move the front fan behind the 2nd tower... but having personally experimented with fan setup on my NH-D15S:
Their NF-A15s, A14s, and F12s(all the ones I've tried so far) do not like being used as pull fans on the heatsink; they make this audible, turbulent whirr sound - I'm not sure how else to describe it, but it's not pleasant. The fan blades aren't hitting the heatsink or anything either.

Reactions: Kalik212
Solution

Kalik212

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015

Their NF-A15s, A14s, and F12s(all the ones I've tried so far) do not like being used as pull fans on the heatsink; they make this audible, turbulent whirr sound - I'm not sure how else to describe it, but it's not pleasant. The fan blades aren't hitting the heatsink or anything either.

my case should be fine as it's pretty big- Fractal Design Meshify S2

is raising the fan on the cooler a good thing to do as far as overall cooling performance?...or is it just better to get another CPU cooler...maybe the Noctua NH-D15S?