Question Noctua Nh-D15 Problem With Fans.

Lev1n

Reputable
Sep 30, 2019
Hello,

I had fuma2 but i couldnt cool my 10850k w.o undervolt. My friend bought a pc with nh-d15 but he cant build pc i said i can build for you but can we trade coolers? he said im fine with it.

I switched coolers and build the pc for him he have 5800x and hes fine with fuma 2.

I put the noctua to my pc tems are so good im getting 70-75 degrees under prime95 cpu is oc'ed 5.2 1.31 voltage. But when fans passed 1350 rpm they are doing buzzing sound. They are fine at top or front and bottom of the case they are buzzing when it attach them to heatsink. Fans are buzzing on both ways(exhaust or intake).
Is there any way to fix this problem?

Cpu is 10850k
Mobo is z490 AsRock Steel Legend

Lev1n

Reputable
Sep 30, 2019
Check out the heatsink for any bent fins or other damage. Make sure everything is installed properly and securely, in correct places and orientation. Check if the fans don't touch anything (like RAM sticks).
Its been 3 days im trying to fix i did everything you said no luck so far.

Lev1n

Reputable
Sep 30, 2019
Pictures?
Please - PLEASE remove the side panel before you take them. After that, you have to use an image hosting site(imgur.com, for example) to upload the pictures here.
I couldnt find any solution i just plug both fans to Y cable comes with cooler it does not ramp fans more than 1000 rpm. They are fine for me temps are under 75 at 30 min prime95 test never climb more than 65 at games.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I couldnt find any solution i just plug both fans to Y cable comes with cooler it does not ramp fans more than 1000 rpm. They are fine for me temps are under 75 at 30 min prime95 test never climb more than 65 at games.
That's not why I asked for pictures...
Prime 95 with no mention of what options were selected doesn't tell anyone anything either, as the cpu or ram can be under/overloaded depending on those settings.

I have an NH-D15S, and have observed the buzzing occurring when the NF-A15 is used as a pull fan on the heatsink and allowed to run over about 1000rpm.
If I use pieces of rubber, metal, etc, in between the fan and heatsink to act as spacers, then the sound goes away.
Push fans:
[heatsink]fan | [heatsink]fan <-airflow direction

Pull fans:
fan[heatsink] | fan[heatsink] <-airflow direction

Reactions: owsie
I just moved away everything away from the case and made a test bench like setup. The buzzing sound is gone. Didnt changed anything on the cooler.
The only difference is motherboard being horizontal instead of vertical (as it is in case). Plus the possibility of the bigger fan touching side of case (it is raised a good bit above heatsink, due to RAMs I suppose).

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Double check the sticker on the back of both fans. They should both be NF-A15 HS(High Speed) for 1500rpm.
Run without the rear case fan when you put everything back inside.

I don't know at this point... some kind of resonance is going on. I've not heard the buzzing myself, except when using them as pull fans.

Lev1n

Reputable
Sep 30, 2019
Double check the sticker on the back of both fans. They should both be NF-A15 HS(High Speed) for 1500rpm.
Run without the rear case fan when you put everything back inside.

I don't know at this point... some kind of resonance is going on. I've not heard the buzzing myself, except when using them as pull fans.
I sold my gpu yesterday looking to buy new one when i got it i will buy new case too and build it again both fans running at full speed right now and there is no buzzing sound I hope they are not gonna do it on that new case.