[SOLVED] Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 - how to make it push/pull with dual fans

jayleonis

Honorable
Nov 18, 2018
I am installing the Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 and from a test video I saw it showed that this fan with the dual fan setup in the push pull configuration cools the best. So i bought the other fan to attach but I havent seen mentioned in any install videos about what a push pull configuration is or how Id set that up. Could someone explain to me how that works and which directions Id want the fans going in relation to the cooler. Thanks!

Solution
On cooling, the objective is to get heated air OUT of the case quickly.
To that end, both fans should be directing airflow towards the rear exit fan.
A second fan is hardly necessary for a top cooler like the NH-U14s.

What is the make/model of your case and fan arrangement?
What is your cpu and gpu?

Also, to feed the cooler(and the graphics card) You should have good front air intake.
Possibly the second fan would be better used to provide more air intake.
Look around the outer casing of the fan. Many will have arrows showing the direction of airflow.
If there are no arrows just look at the mounting of the fan motor. The motor mount side (the side that has a plastic piece in the middle of the fan that doesn't turn with the fan blades) should be the exhaust side.

Push-pull configuration refers to one fan pushing the air through the radiator on one side while the other fan pulls air through from the other. This results in higher airflow across the radiator and cooler temps. In short, install both fans the same way on either side of the rad. so that the air flow through both fans is in one direction through the radiator.

jayleonis

Honorable
Nov 18, 2018
Look around the outer casing of the fan. Many will have arrows showing the direction of airflow.
If there are no arrows just look at the mounting of the fan motor. The motor mount side (the side that has a plastic piece in the middle of the fan that doesn't turn with the fan blades) should be the exhaust side.

Push-pull configuration refers to one fan pushing the air through the radiator on one side while the other fan pulls air through from the other. This results in higher airflow across the radiator and cooler temps. In short, install both fans the same way on either side of the rad. so that the air flow through both fans is in one direction through the radiator.

thats great thank you! does it matter much which overall direction these fans face? Maybe its better to have it pointing in the direction of the case exhaust fan and pulling air from the side of the case that has intake fans

The typical method is to have BOTH of the CPU cooler fans moving air toward the rear exhaust. Just as the front case fan should be pushing air in that same general direction.

But there is no substitute for trial and error. Depends on how much experimentation you want to do. You may find that side or top vents or fans don't help at all and are better sealed off.

Who knows.....you might even find out that the second fan on the cooler might be better utilized on a top vent or as a second intake. Cooling results are very hard to predict because of individual circumstances.....case, fans, fan speed, ambient temps, your tolerance for noise, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: alceryes
On cooling, the objective is to get heated air OUT of the case quickly.
To that end, both fans should be directing airflow towards the rear exit fan.
A second fan is hardly necessary for a top cooler like the NH-U14s.

What is the make/model of your case and fan arrangement?
What is your cpu and gpu?

Also, to feed the cooler(and the graphics card) You should have good front air intake.
Possibly the second fan would be better used to provide more air intake.

Reactions: alceryes
Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I am installing the Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 and from a test video I saw it showed that this fan with the dual fan setup in the push pull configuration cools the best. So i bought the other fan to attach but I havent seen mentioned in any install videos about what a push pull configuration is or how Id set that up. Could someone explain to me how that works and which directions Id want the fans going in relation to the cooler. Thanks!
From the included parts it says the cooler should of had the other clip for the extra fan.

Heatsink incl. 1x NF-A15 PWM premium fan, Low-Noise Adaptor (L.N.A.), 1x NT-H1 high-grade thermal compound, SecuFirm2™ mounting kit, Anti-vibration pads and fan-clips for second NF-A15 (optional), Noctua Metal Case-Badge

I'll add that, more often than not, adding a top exhaust fan makes airflow less efficient because that top fan is often fighting with your first CPU fan for the same air.
If you've got both fans exhausting out the back and another rear case fan exhausting out you should be good.

Here's a few tips for you if you cant see the arrows on the side of the fans.

For fans that you want to pull air in ..... get a small piece of paper about the size of a post it note and hold it against the pc casing and then let go of it , the fan should be strong enough to stop the paper dropping on the floor.

For fans you want to remove hot air repeat the above and if they are the right way round to get rid of hot air the paper should either drop on floor or if it is mounted on the roof of the case you should see the paper move because it is trying to blow it out of the way of the airflow.

I thought the guys who built my custom games rig had put the front fan the wrong way because when i put my hand against the fan i could feel a draught , they gave me the tip of putting a piece of paper against the fan , it did not drop on the floor so i knew it was the right way round.

In my coolermaster haf x tower i have 2 rear fans , a huge Noctua NH-D15S Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler , a large side fan , a roof fan , a front fan and of course 2 fans on my gtx 1080.