Noctua Preps For AMD Ryzen With Three New Coolers

Status
Not open for further replies.

It's called sales... just like the SE series for the LGA-2011 socket.

The coolers look identical to the regular versions, just changed mounting for the AM4 socket. So current reviews of all three coolers should be representative of performance with these. We just don't have data on how the Ryzen CPUs behave.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Noctua has always been good about giving customers new brackets at no charge. I am curious what makes AM4 the exception.

I wish AM4 used the same mounting system as AM2, AM2+, AM3, AM3+ and probably whatever came before AM2. AMD has always kept it the same.

It's more complicated than that. Here's the explanation from Noctua's site:

Please note that being a dedicated special edition for AM4, the NH-D15 SE-AM4 comes with AM4 mounting hardware only, and that for this cooler, Noctua cannot provide free mounting kits for other current sockets such as LGA115x or LGA2011. For the NH-D15 SE-AM4, these mounting kits can only be purchased in retail or online shops (NM-i115x for LGA115x and NM-I2011 for LGA2011). Future mounting upgrades will be provided free of charge as usual if technically possible.

Basically you can't get mounting brackets for any other current sockets. But you can get mounting brackets for future sockets (AM5 etc).

nezzymighty

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
"The NH-U12s SE-AM4 was made with "a highly compact design and low profile, which makes it ideal for cooling lower TDP AM4 CPUs in HTPC or Small Form Factor cases." And the NH-L9x65 SE-AM4 offers "an excellent balance of efficiency, quietness, and compatibility."

You mixed the low profile cooler name with the standard cooler name in the second paragraph....

alextheblue

Distinguished

What they're saying is that if you buy these particular Special Edition AM4-specific coolers, they will not give you FREE mounting kits for other CURRENT sockets such as LGA115x or AM3 etc. You can still buy them if you really needed them for some reason (not sure why you'd buy this edition at that point but it is an option). However, even on these AM4-specific SE coolers, they will still offer free mounting upgrades for FUTURE sockets, where technically feasible - and they don't specify only AMD sockets.

Now, the more important news: They ARE giving away free AM4 mounting kits for owners of existing pre-AM4 Noctua coolers. So if you already own a Noctua cooler you were intending to use, you're covered. You have to provide proof of purchase of the Noctua cooler in question, and possibly proof of purchase of an AM4 board and processor.

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cases_cooling/noctua_will_provide_free_am4_upgrade_kits_to_their_existing_cpu_coolers/1

alextheblue

Distinguished

They did release brackets. If you can provide Proof of Purchase for the cooler, and maybe AM4 board/CPU, you can get a free bracket for your existing Noctua units. As for why they changed the mounting system, you'd have to ask AMD's engineers. I am sure they have a their reasons. Regardless, it appears all the premium cooler manufacturers are giving AM4 brackets out for free/cheap for existing coolers. So it's basically a non-issue for most enthusiasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.