Noctua PWM vs FLX vs ULN in Define R5

survivor03

Honorable
Apr 3, 2015
If I were to replace stock case fans for Noctua for better silence, would you use PWM, FLX or ULN? I'm building in the Define R5 and want a silent PC yet still adequate airflow so my components do not overheat. My thoughts were 2 140mm front mounts and 1 140mm in the rear for exhaust.

Which type of fan do you think is best and why? Also do you think the way I will set up the 3 is optimal?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
I'd go with the nf a14 pwm. Better static pressure, comes with a uln adapter to drop it from 1500 to 1200rpm along with an extension cable and can use pwm via the motherboard for speed control to reduce noise. Has decent enough static pressure to use as intake fans. The flx and uln are non pwm that come with fixed speed adapters. If you don't care about the cables and pads (not really needed) and prefer a gray colored noctua, the redux p14s 1200 pwm may be another consideration. There's also a 1500 but if you're concerned about noise I doubt you'll need the 1500rpm version (they get a little loud maxed out but push a lot of air).

Another option for the rear exhaust might be the phanteks ph-f140 xp so long as you don't mind a...
I'd go with the nf a14 pwm. Better static pressure, comes with a uln adapter to drop it from 1500 to 1200rpm along with an extension cable and can use pwm via the motherboard for speed control to reduce noise. Has decent enough static pressure to use as intake fans. The flx and uln are non pwm that come with fixed speed adapters. If you don't care about the cables and pads (not really needed) and prefer a gray colored noctua, the redux p14s 1200 pwm may be another consideration. There's also a 1500 but if you're concerned about noise I doubt you'll need the 1500rpm version (they get a little loud maxed out but push a lot of air).

Another option for the rear exhaust might be the phanteks ph-f140 xp so long as you don't mind a white/black fan (not sure if this will conflict with a color scheme). They have a 5yr warranty vs the 6yr noctua warranty. Didn't have a lot of luck mounting it horizontal (top exhaust), I got a lot of vibration/noise. Vertical as a rear exhaust though I'm pretty impressed. Barely audible at full speed and moves a ton of air. Also pwm so can be controlled via the motherboard. Assuming the motherboard has 4pin pwm fan headers.

If your motherboard doesn't have 4pin pwm headers then the flx may be a better option for all three.

Solution

survivor03

Honorable
Apr 3, 2015

I'm going with the closed Define R5 so no need for a color scheme.
Here is my Motherboard: ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($81.99 @ SuperBiiz)
I see it has 2 x 4pin connectors, I don't really understand mobo's so will I need to find one with 3 for each fan? Cause i'm going with the stock cpu cooler unless it's too loud and annoys me then i'll upgrade to an aftermarket hyper 212 evo or something, so that'll take up another 4pin I assume? Maybe I need 2 PWM and 1 FLX?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Since your mobo provides 4-pin ports for all its fans, you really should buy 4-pin fan - aka PWM Mode fans - for all positions.

First, make sure to plug the CPU cooling fan into the CPU_FAN header and nowhere else. Do not plug a different fan position into this port. The mobo does a few extra things to monitor the CPU cooling and protect the CPU chip, so this port needs to have the CPU fan on it.

Next, your four case ventilation fans, versus two mobo ports. First of all, get the PWM versions of the Noctua fans - they are the right ones to use with these mobo ports. Next, buy two 4-Pin Y-splitters for your fans. Each of these allow you to connect TWO fans to ONE mobo port. An example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812423160&cm_re=Y_Splitter_4-pin_fan-_-12-423-160-_-Product

It is acceptable to connect two fans to one port, but not more - the limit is in the brief start-up current to get the fans running. I'd suggest putting the two intake fans on one port and splitter, and the two exhaust fans on the other. Let the mobo's fan control systems for each of its three fan ports do their default automatic control.

The PWR_FAN port on your mobo is only for a particular use, and maybe not for you. SOME PSU's come with a set of three wires coming out that end in a "standard 3-pin fan" connector. IF yours has that, plug it into the mobo PWR_FAN port. All it does it allow the fan in the PSU to send its speed signal to the mobo for measurement and info. It does not actually do any control of the PSU's internal fan. If that fan changes its speed, that control is being done entirely within the PSU itself. But if your PSU does not have these special wires, then connect nothing to the PWR_FAN port.

survivor03

Honorable
Apr 3, 2015

Thank you I had no idea splitters existed (never built a pc) that seems like the solution. Not sure what my PSU has but here is the one I was going with Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)

From what newegg says about that motherboard (asrock h97 pro 4), there are 2 cpu fan headers (cpu and cpu_opt) which are both 4 pin. 2 4pin (pwm) chassis fan headers and 1 3pin (non pwm) header. Doubt you'll need any splitters. 2 pwm 4pin fans like the nfa14 pwm's up front as intakes could connect to the 2 4pin chassis fans, the cpu cooler would plug into the cpu fan header and the rear exhaust could use a 3 pin fan like the af14 flx with the use of one of the noise adapters or as an alternative, a phanteks ph-f140sp for the rear. The flx has a noise adapter to reduce voltage though (speed) for lower noise so may be the better option for the rear exhaust.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
It appears that PSU does not have a set of speed output wires that can plug into your mobo's PWR_FAN port. So, normally you would not plug anything into that port.

Now, synphul has suggested using all your mobo's fan ports an not using Y-splitters. Two fans go on the two CHA_FAN ports. A third goes to one of the two CPU_FAN ports that will not be needed, but there's a slight error there : that second CPU_FAN port is a 3-pin (Voltage Control Mode) port, not 4-pin. This would put that fan under automatic control by the BIOS, but guided by the internal temperature of the CPU chip itself, just like the CPU_FAN should be. The CHA_FAN ports are guided, instead, by a temperature sensor built into the mobo, not inside the CPU. synphul's last suggestion is to plug the fourth fan (and it needs to be 3-pin) into the PWR_FAN port since it won't be used. This is because most mobo makers actually connect the Ground and +12 VDC (fixed voltage) to Pins 1 and 2 of this port so that it CAN provide power to a 3-pin fan. The main drawback of this is that there is NO control of fan speed from this port - it will always run at full speed. That is why synful has also suggested that you use the little "noise adapter" that comes with that fan. It is really a small resistor in series with the fan power supply to reduce its voltage and make it run slower (and quieter), but still at a constant speed - no control.

If you go that route, you will need two 4-pin (PWM Mode) fans to connect to the CHA_FAN headers, and two 3-pin (Voltage Control Mode) fans to connect to the other headers.

On the other hand, if you buy four 4-pin fans plus two Y-splitters, you can connect them to the two CHA_FAN headers and have all of them under automatic speed control by the BIOS, based on the mobo temperature sensor.

There is control of the rear exhaust fan when using the 'fixed speed' of the pwr_fan port. Hence the noctua flx (or uln) come with low noise adapters with the ability to use the various power cables to reduce voltage/speed and in turn noise. The flx would be plenty capable of moving air at reduced speed. The included noise adapters allow it to run at 1200rpm pushing 68cfm at 19.2db, 1050rpm pushing 60cfm at 16.4db with the lna adapter or as low as 900rpm with the included ulna adapter pushing 52cfm at just 13.8db. Not much reason to need more control beyond that. At a low db high airflow setting it could just be left alone.

Just an alternative to splitters is all. 60cfm is about all the airflow needed and at under 17db would be virtually silent. The whole back of the case is virtually open with additional air vents and slotted pci covers, any additional airflow from the front 140's would pass there. The case fans won't likely be the biggest culprit of noise if using a gpu and gaming. Not sure what the op plans to use the pc for but if gaming even with a fairly 'quiet' gpu when it ramps up during gameplay it will easily be louder than the rest of the fans and cpu cooler combined.

survivor03

Honorable
Apr 3, 2015

Here is my full PC build, went for a silent one as for it'll be in my bedroom.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($176.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($81.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card ($198.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.89 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($28.98 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan ($23.75 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($27.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $986.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-29 23:21 EDT-0400

My goal for this PC is to play Diablo 3 without having the computer make any noise. I know i've picked parts that cost a bit more but this was for quality and silent parts. Also the overkill GPU was to help with the next release in the Diablo series without having to buy a new one.
I am usually downloading songs or movies in the background, listening to music, streaming tv shows and movies, playing games only D3 and Minecraft, surfing the web or on excel, usually doing these simultaneously...