Noctua Shows Off 120 mm NF-S12A Case Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

maximumfun

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
i like noctua fan, they are durable, efficient at moving air and very low noise. i have 5 of them in my current pc.
but they do look weird due to the color they choose. they are not visualy very appealing, especially in a case with a window
where you can see them. i know its they're trademark but they should seriously consider making them in black.
that way it would go whit anything and they would probably sell more.

[citation][nom]maximumfun[/nom]i like noctua fan, they are durable, efficient at moving air and very low noise. i have 5 of them in my current pc.but they do look weird due to the color they choose. they are not visualy very appealing, especially in a case with a windowwhere you can see them. i know its they're trademark but they should seriously consider making them in black.that way it would go whit anything and they would probably sell more.[/citation]
Knowing noctua they probably chose brown because some research said that the color was quieter.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
1. It's not "brown", it's "boiled caramel", a definition by Noctua itself.

2. Their trade mark color scheme is of such combination because Noctua's founder is actually a big sweet-tooth and loves caramel very much, so they created this color scheme out of his preferences. Meaning that this color scheme won't go away for a looooooong time. So deal with it and live with it. %)

3. It looks awesome in any case, it's a very calm, eye-candy (geddit?) color. Screw all haters.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012

You can tape off the fan blades and just paint the frame black with a few light coats of spray paint. It voids the warranty but if you're using your custom PC right you're voiding half the warranties anyway by overclocking and making other system changes. They actually look pretty nice with the black frames and brown blades.

3.jpg

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Have to agree with everyone - the colors are a bit off-putting if you're looking for using them in a case meant to be both stylish and effective. It's really hard to get a case or general components that match the brown color palette of these fans. The closest I can think of off the top of my head is the Sabertooth motherboards. The performance is great of these fans, but it would be nice to be able to get them in black.

[citation][nom]WithoutWeakness[/nom]You can tape off the fan blades and just paint the frame black with a few light coats of spray paint. It voids the warranty but if you're using your custom PC right you're voiding half the warranties anyway by overclocking and making other system changes. They actually look pretty nice with the black frames and brown blades.[/citation]
You sir have a true dedication to these great fans.

zakaron

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
I've always read that they make top notch fans, but getting a news article all to itself - that just proves right there that these fans are something unique.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
@ubercake @zakaron Haha I wish those were mine. There's a few threads on the TechPowerUp forums about people painting their Noctuas. I snagged the photo from there just to show what they look like. I have a friend who painted his before putting them on his H100 and they came out looking great just like those.

They do look way better with black frames though. If someone saw them they would never think twice that they were Noctuas. I know Noctua kind of uses the beige color to set themselves apart visually but they can totally throw off the aesthetics of an otherwise matching build.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]WithoutWeakness[/nom]You can tape off the fan blades and just paint the frame black with a few light coats of spray paint. It voids the warranty but if you're using your custom PC right you're voiding half the warranties anyway by overclocking and making other system changes. They actually look pretty nice with the black frames and brown blades.[/citation]
It's gonna be a lot trickier painting the new ones though, since they have the dimples in the frame and the stepped entry. Sure, you'll be able to paint it but you'd be sacrificing all that hard work that Noctua has put into the design of the frame.

[citation][nom]master_chen[/nom]1. It's not "brown", it's "boiled caramel", a definition by Noctua itself.2. Their trade mark color scheme is of such combination because Noctua's founder is actually a big sweet-tooth and loves caramel very much, so they created this color scheme out of his preferences. Meaning that this color scheme won't go away for a looooooong time. So deal with it and live with it. %)3. It looks awesome in any case, it's a very calm, eye-candy (geddit?) color. Screw all haters.[/citation]

i thought it was "salmon"

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

They already sell them like hot pies..

WithoutWeakness: Ewwww...that looks like charcoal...whoever did that, boiled that caramel waaay too long...It's basically just heavily burnt sugar now...I prefer default pastel tones. :\

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]N.Broekhuijsen[/nom]It's gonna be a lot trickier painting the new ones though, since they have the dimples in the frame and the stepped entry. Sure, you'll be able to paint it but you'd be sacrificing all that hard work that Noctua has put into the design of the frame.[/citation]Exactly. Paint tends to fill in "imperfections"... and in this case that's not necessarily a good thing! IMHO a true "fan" (pun intended) of Noctua would leave them as-is. Besides, performance > appearance, unless you're entering it in a contest or something :D. So even if you don't like the colors, you've got to love the results.

I especially like their PWM fans. A lot of PWM fans feel like a compromise solution, but not the Noctua ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.