Noctua's New Heatsinks Solve a Variety of Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgingeri

Distinguished
I don't understand why anyone uses the more expensive air cooling anymore. The closed loop water coolers work much better, don't have clearance issues, and are much easier to work with. The person building the machine just has to be sure to use a case that will work with the cooler. They're a little more expensive, but not that much. I've been using Corsair coolers with my last 4 builds. The H90 I used in my virtual trainer box was less expensive than the high end air coolers.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
dgingeri, AIO water coolers are nice and all but the noctuas trade blows with them and are much more reliable. Copper heatsinks cant wear out or fail overtime. AIO can develop a leak, pump failure, etc.

So thats why someone would use a regular heatsink.

laststop311

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
I don't understand why anyone uses the more expensive air cooling anymore. The closed loop water coolers work much better, don't have clearance issues, and are much easier to work with. The person building the machine just has to be sure to use a case that will work with the cooler. They're a little more expensive, but not that much. I've been using Corsair coolers with my last 4 builds. The H90 I used in my virtual trainer box was less expensive than the high end air coolers.

There is a huge reason. The noctua nh d14 surpassed almost every single all in one water cooling solution while producing the least amount of noise. The heatsink is so effective you don't even need to run the fans at full speed. I use the ULNA adapter which i think runs the fans at 5 volts and i run an i7-980x at 4.2ghz and the cpu stays in the mid to high 60's and it is inaudible compared to the case fans and gpu fans. It basically removed 1 source of noise from your pc completely that's how good it is. The water coolers their fans are louder than noctuas and the pump itself that moves the water is louder.

laststop311

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
let me add that there are situations where water cooling is better. If your case is set up a certain way where there is not a lot of internal airflow and its a big benefit to directly exhaust the heat from the cpu out of the case then go for the water cooling. If you got a large tower pc with lots of air moving through the case a very large air cooled heatsink is the optimal solution for performance both maximum oc at lowest temps as well as lowest noise.

If you are really lucky you can find limited edition full solid copper heatsinks that are massive and weigh pounds. Solid copper ive seen beat the d14 by 3-5C

TeamColeINC

Reputable
May 6, 2014
Something like that offset CPU heatsink should've came out like, 5 years ago man lol. We've already come up with ingenius work arounds for that.

TeamColeINC

Reputable
May 6, 2014
Is it just me or do those things look sorta.... big compared to the motherboards? Are those mini motherboards?

Yea, the first picture shown is a D14 size heatsink on a Micro ATX and the last picture is on a Mini ITX

gsxrme

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
Water cooling keeps the average cpu a lot 5c over room temp. Excluding hard core over clocks. Air cooling is quite dead. Look at Google and all the other big companys. Even servers are going water.

Status
Not open for further replies.