[SOLVED] noise gpu or psu fan

muddy777

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
I have windows 7
sometimes when I have some windows open the pc becomes noisy, when I minimize all open windows it goes away in 10 seconds, when I open some windows it comes back. dont know if its the gpu or cpu,

MY RAM is 20GB, GPU is 4GB radeon rx550, cpu is 650 watts

is there a better solution to fix this?

Solution
It could be either, but I want to say PSU. The GPU load should drop immediately after closing any window, while the PSU might be still drawing some power for background cpu work. However, the best/only way to really know is to swap a part out, so that you can eliminate a specific component. This may be hard to do for you though. The next best thing could be to try opening the case and listening very closely to determine which the sound comes from. This is easy to try, but hard to really get a good idea from. Worth a shot I guess though.
It could be either, but I want to say PSU. The GPU load should drop immediately after closing any window, while the PSU might be still drawing some power for background cpu work. However, the best/only way to really know is to swap a part out, so that you can eliminate a specific component. This may be hard to do for you though. The next best thing could be to try opening the case and listening very closely to determine which the sound comes from. This is easy to try, but hard to really get a good idea from. Worth a shot I guess though.

Solution