Noisy new psu

xxowensquiresxx

Prominent
Oct 23, 2017
A few months ago i brought myself a evga g2 850w psu and was running most games on lower 4k settings with a msi gtx 980 and everything was fine. I recently upgraded to a msi gtx 1080ti to really induldge in the 4k experience and have found that the psu can get quite noisy when it never did before. Here are a couple recordings i have of the noise, please help.

[video="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-dwiJIPm240"][/video]

bignastyid

Titan
I did hear a clicking that sounded like a wire or something hitting a fan. Are you sure it's the PSU? Where it started with the install of the 1080Ti I'd think that's where it's actually coming from. To test this theory use a program like MSI Afterburner to manually turn the gpu's fans on/up and see if the noise occurs.

xxowensquiresxx

Prominent
Oct 23, 2017
I have isolated the noise to be coming from the psu, have already turned off the fans on the gpu to check. Was going to rma the card but the noise it 100% coming from the psu. Heres another quick vid.

[video="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RUUcId3_KFQ"][/video]

bignastyid

Titan
I'd grab a flashlight and look in the PSU when it's off and see if I could see anything the fan could be hitting, maybe something got in there when the new gpu was installed. Might even think about removing it hold it fan side down and giving it a bit of a gentle shake to see if anything comes out or if you here something rattling around in it.

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Yes i heard it and when you exited it quieted right down and then started again when you entered the game. Have you got a spare psu to check against? How old is the psu and can you still exchange it?
Me personally, I always keep a spare psu around just in case of a failure. This way I can swap and continue to use my system while the old one is rma'd.

xxowensquiresxx

Prominent
Oct 23, 2017
No i dont have a spare unfortunately. Its less then 6 months old and is under a 10 year warranty. Will have a gander and a bit of a tinker as you mentioned for
anything loose or obstructive. Thankyou

I do the same thing, keep a known good unit around just incase.

Same with graphics cards, known working cards.