Nokia Boss: Google is Making Android More Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I love how Microsoft (and it's partners) always blames this on Google; "Google previously decided to stop supporting the popular Exchange ActiveSync accounts service, a technology Windows Phone utilizes for push notifications for services such as Gmail."

Hey Microsoft, MAYBE IF YOU DIDN'T CHARGE THEM RIDICULOUS ROYALTIES ON IT THEY WOULD STILL BE USING IT!

evilsizer

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Google taking more control away from other companies might be a good thing. Companies take the operating system and lock the hell out of it. Imagine getting an Android that you felt no need to root? One of the reasons I'm looking forward to the X Phone.

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
While I do agree that Android is becoming a more closed ecosystem, it's still a lot more open than WinMo. The board needs to tell Mr. Elop to STFU about google and Android because everytime he opens his mouth about it It should make shareholders less confident in the company.

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
[citation][nom]evilsizer[/nom]Google taking more control away from other companies might be a good thing. Companies take the operating system and lock the hell out of it. Imagine getting an Android that you felt no need to root? One of the reasons I'm looking forward to the X Phone.[/citation]
The only control I care about is end users. Fsck the carriers. I wish Google would strip them of all control and sell us handsets we want. We buy them, we control them.

I wholeheartedly agree with you.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]rekoil[/nom]I love how Microsoft (and it's partners) always blames this on Google; "Google previously decided to stop supporting the popular Exchange ActiveSync accounts service, a technology Windows Phone utilizes for push notifications for services such as Gmail."Hey Microsoft, MAYBE IF YOU DIDN'T CHARGE THEM RIDICULOUS ROYALTIES ON IT THEY WOULD STILL BE USING IT![/citation]
My e-mail works just fine without ActiveSync....and a more closed Android is better than the overly fragmented condition it's currently in. Google needs to reclaim some control of it from phone makers. Also, dropping support for ActiveSync, has almost nothing to do with Android being more "closed" than it previously was....

evilsizer

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
The X Phone is being talked about being a non-contract phone. Imagine if Google bought out one of these small to middle carriers? They like to push buttons and tech in industries. What would cell service from Google on a MotoGoogle phone with Android look like? Would every carrier lose control of their bowls? I think it would get messy.

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
Hey Mr. Elop before you telling us how Android becoming "bit more closed as" we "have seen quite recently.", you should tell us where I can download the source files of WP8 and Nokia Apps, especially I am interested of the source code of Nokia's implementation of ActiveSync!

What a hypocrite!

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I think what he said is actually pretty true. Microsoft uses the services available to it in order to offer google services to Windows Phone Users. However, google is looking to make the process difficult for Microsoft by changing methods and making accessing some google service closed. This only hurts the people who trust in google services yet got a Windows Phone instead of an Android phone.

On the other hand Microsoft develops its own android software to give android owners access to office, and XBox Services.
Its a very squeeze your competition out of business strategy they probably won't succeed because Windows Phone is such a better platform to begin with.

hannibal

Distinguished
As you have said above. Movement to a little bit more tight guality control is just good thing! It would be nice to see pure "Nexus phones" from all manufacturers, so that it would be easier to get upgrades.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]evilsizer[/nom]Google taking more control away from other companies might be a good thing. Companies take the operating system and lock the hell out of it. Imagine getting an Android that you felt no need to root? One of the reasons I'm looking forward to the X Phone.[/citation]One really nice thing about WP is that there's no need to root it. Everything on there is fair game for removal, even carrier and manufacturer preloaded stuff, out of the box. Google needs to follow suit, here.
[citation][nom]phatboe[/nom]While I do agree that Android is becoming a more closed ecosystem, it's still a lot more open than WinMo. The board needs to tell Mr. Elop to STFU about google and Android because everytime he opens his mouth about it It should make shareholders less confident in the company.[/citation]To be fair to Mr. Elop, I'm not certain he was saying it was a BAD thing that Android was becoming more closed. It's certainly one way to reduce fragmentation, even though it might tick off some parties.

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]alextheblue[/nom]One really nice thing about WP is that there's no need to root it. Everything on there is fair game for removal, even carrier and manufacturer preloaded stuff, out of the box. Google needs to follow suit, here.[/citation]

Can you remove IE from WP8? Even in Windows 7 when you uninstall IE the only thing that is removed is the shortcut to it. So far I only play with WP where would be impolite to install/uninstall programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.