Nokia Branches Out from Windows With Android-based Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

houldendub

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Shame, the mainstream high end could of done with something other than the iPhone and Galaxy S range. I guess Microsoft's contempt with not being the best.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
I get that this is the MWC, but what is the point of bringing out old tech phones at a already overcrowded low-end price point?

Oh Yeah, and did I mention the crappy tile Android interface, that's already been done and better by Sammy, Chameleon and even Polaroid?

I Hate Nvidia

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
I think this is a pretty smart move by MS/Nokia ,they will get rid of the aging and money consuming Symbian all together ,and replace it at the low end with android to cut down cost of developing the software so they can sell thier phones cheaper and/or gain a higher prophit margin , and easy porting of android apps fortify this move by not demanding develoers to develop apps for a low end phone with tight margins.Still they don't make such move in the high end where the cash really is ,so will not alienate hardcore WIN Phone /Nokia fans.

D

Deleted member 1353997

After I've seen what my Windows Phone 8 Lumia can do, I don't want to go back to Android (not any time soon, at least).

Microsoft has come a long way since crappy Windows Mobile and it's all thanks to Google and Apple.
Now, if only Windows Phone gains a somewhat significant market share (let's say 20%), then we can expect Apple and Google to do some really impressive work.

Oh, I just LOVE competition. Fanboys can go to hell.

MTWSD

Reputable
Feb 15, 2014
So if it can't access the Play Store, what exactly does that mean? Can you still run regular android apps, and if so how would you get them on the phone?I'm not very knowledgeable about the android platform, I'm a WP user.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
So if it can't access the Play Store, what exactly does that mean? Can you still run regular android apps, and if so how would you get them on the phone?I'm not very knowledgeable about the android platform, I'm a WP user.
It has third party app stores pre-installed, and you can install more of them. You can also install apks from the file manager. Shouldn't be difficult to get Play there too.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Shame, the mainstream high end could of done with something other than the iPhone and Galaxy S range. I guess Microsoft's contempt with not being the best.
The last thing people need is another high-end expensive device. Phones are already so overpowered on the hardware-end, new devices are coming out with no real advantage over older devices because the software and services haven't advanced. My LG Optimus G is still overkill on the hardware performance end, nothing that has come out since (or is rumored to come out).I'm not saying I'd like to go backwards in terms of performance spec's--but the low-mid end can benefit from a great phone maker like Nokia--assuming they did it right (not being full-fledged android makes me wary, given how I did not like how Amazon's FireOS works out).

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Just like the first Nokia lumias... outdated hardware. I get the low end target... but there are other low end phones with same or Bette specs. Also, its not like Nokia has to BUY wp8. This is not how you grow your platform and I think this tells developers to not brother with WP8/9... and since RT is dead... that leaves a full blown windows OS from MS. What a mess. BTW, those with android can experience WP8 by downloading Launcher 8. Its actually a bit better than wp8 as it has more customize features and function. Like individual tile color, tile landscape rotation which is slick.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
I find this to be humorous and ironic considering Elop and Ballmer have been saying for nearly two years that Android is much worse than Windows Phone on low end devices, and now they turn around and release this. To reinforce the matter, they aren't going to heavily market it as an "Android" device so clearly it's not a marketing issue. Is Nokia admitting sticking with Windows Phone exclusively was a fail? Did it turn out that Windows Phone wasn't so great on the low end after all? What's going on here?

hannibal

Distinguished
This was developed before MS deal. But interesting choise indeed. This was planned before the MS made an announce that wp8 could be even free... But if it is not free, it is more than something. It is all about cost!

These phones do not make sense to me. Nokia phones should either use Microsoft solutions entirely or embrace Android completely. It could certainly fight in both arenas, but a phone that is neither Windows Phone nor fully-fledged Android (no support for google services and play) will probably end up with little significance. A shame, as Nokia designs great phones and could easily rival the Android competition.

Azn Cracker

Distinguished
No play store? Does that mean the app selection will be crap? If so a lot of people won't even consider this. Had a lumia before. Got rid of it because of the lack of apps I needed and some minor quirks. I really liked the live tiles though because it efficiently used all the space on the screen and was also live.

azz156

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
geez whats up with all the readers on toms lately, these are not android phones, these are asop phones like what amazon did or what you call it a "forked android" with Microsoft and nokia filling in the gaps left by the lack of google services. its just a cheap phone to Trojan horse Microsoft/Nokia (aka one drive, here maps etc) services into the android ecosystem. the whole back end of this forked android is completely controlled by Microsoft.still as a windows phone fan I'm a bit puzzled as to why they did this since the Lumia 520 is $99, but if it sells then Microsoft and Nokia will make money.

Status
Not open for further replies.