Nokia Had a Touchscreen Phone 7 Years Before the iPhone

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Only technology morons belive that touchscreen phones began with the iPhone. The same morons tend to become Applejailed iCrap fanatics, not too different from religious zealots.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
"No way! Steve Jobs invented life!"

If you read the mainstream US media you might believe that. The honest truth is that Steve Jobs was just a spineless con-artist and backroom peddler. That is what he trully excelled at.

G

If it wasn't for Steve Jobs and Apple, you ingrates would all still be using Blackberries and Palm. You guys are in such loser denial, it's unbelievable. The reason no one knows or cares about Nokia's crap touch phone is because Apple was the first do it correctly, which is why every single vendor has copied its approach since. So what if Nokia had some half-assed product out first? Clearly no one bought it or remembered it, because it sucked.

Apple won. Your horse lost. Deal with it. Crying and making lame "apple patent / sue" jokes is the epitome of sour grapes.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Dear Mr. Douglas Perry, writer for Tom's Hardware...

7 years before the iPhone? Really? Because the iPhone came out in 2007 (even the article that you posted as source says so, if you even bothered to read it), so if Nokia had a prototype in 2002... then it's 5 years, not 7. You're not very good at math, are you, Mr. Perry?

And if you were to compare when Apple had a prototype (to make it a fair comparison), it'd be even less than 5. But anyway... Nokia may have had such a phone, but people demanded buttons at that time and they still did, well after the iPhone launched. It's why the BlackBerry was so successful. Moar buttenz!!1

peperiro

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
Nokia hasn't a decent touch screen, and decent OS for a smartphone, until the Lumia release. The 5800 and X6 was terrible UI experience, way behind the iPhone, or Samsung or HTC. Perhaps Nokia has a "prototipe" some years ago... but seriously anybody can think than Nokia was ready to launch a "touch-screen smartphone" like machine in 2002, if they can't really do in a competitive way until 2010-2011? :p

peperiro

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
Nokia hasn't a decent touch screen, and decent OS for a smartphone, until the Lumia release. The 5800 and X6 was terrible UI experience, way behind the iPhone, or Samsung or HTC. Perhaps Nokia has a "prototipe" some years ago... but seriously anybody can think than Nokia was ready to launch a "touch-screen smartphone" like machine in 2002, if they can't really do in a competitive way until 2010-2011? :p

serendipiti

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Yes,
the merit goes to Apple, but probably is the wrong merit.
Apple deserves the merit of waiting the proper time to bring it to the masses: maturity of all the technologies involved and "market preparation", but not really the merit that everyone is giving as
visionary.
Lot of people realised beore apple of what technology was possible in near future at every moment (in fact, not only mobile gadgets), Jobs realised of how and why people would use that technology... Think its talents had to do with sociology more than technology...
The last, but not least merit is that it succeeded creating and marketing the phone.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
[citation][nom]motheninja[/nom]That beng said, I love my iPad and there is no tablet tha can compete with it....[/citation]

Ha ha ha oh wow. Keep sippin' that kool-aid.

CyberAngel

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]lancess[/nom]7710? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_7710[/citation]

I'm still using that Nokia 7710 as my major phone every single day
(while jogging I have a very light phone for emergency calls)

CyberAngel

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]Spanky Deluxe[/nom]I had a Nokia 7710, their 2004 touch screen phone. Nokia proved with that phone that they weren't capable of keeping up with smartphone technologies. Firstly, the phone was unbearably slow and secondly, they cancelled the variant of Symbian OS that ran on it before the phone actually reached customers so despite advertising third party apps, no one wanted to develop for an OS that would never be used ever again.[/citation]
AND
I'm using that exactly phone even today, yes, it's slow...

thepieman

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
[citation][nom]aggroboy[/nom]It's not that simple. Slate and Windows phones came way before ipad and iphones, and they were stinkers because the technology wasn't ready. Tech history is littered with devices that were ahead of their times.Even if Nokia released their touchscreen device early, it might have been clunky and expensive.[/citation]

this is one of the things i really hate about the tech market. a lot of successful products arent the best, nor the first, nor the most innovative. they were just at the right place at the right time.

CyberAngel

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008

I can work with it with my gloves on...

CyberAngel

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
OK...now I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 Active
- and it can be used with gloves on
Plus a Nokia Lumia 920
- which also can be used with gloves on
My Nokia 7710 can retire now...