Nokia Sues Samsung Over LCD Price Fixing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
I find it funny how you can run off to sue someone over the prices they CHOOSE to sell somethign or not.. Nokia I tend to like your products ( ofc Samsung is always the top for LCD TVs in my book ) but now ill have to show you th e finger due to the fact im really negative to this privilage you think you got and react in that manner. Cause as much as you dont like higher prices you also like lower prices and Idont like knowing that prices are capable to climb down dramatically and make ppl lives easier when they go shopping cause you think you an choose the market's lvls and profits. Make your product, put the price. If you are worth it ill buy it.

[citation][nom]beatcoaster[/nom]LCD is garbage anyway - start using OLED in your phones
and quit complaining Nokia![/citation]
OLED is not a resonable solution for a screen...
I can't quiet remember why I think they only last a few years or something. If you did some reading you would understand why it's not ready to hit the big time.

beatcoaster

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]OLED is not a resonable solution for a screen...I can't quiet remember why I think they only last a few years or something. If you did some reading you would understand why it's not ready to hit the big time.[/citation]

Actually I have done more than my fair share of reading on them, and OLED tech is used in many devices already today(even a samsung phone for one!), especially on the small scale screens. Various laptops are starting to ramp up for OLED screens as well. As with all technology the issues related to brightness output vs age that you are probably referring to, are being worked out, with decent success. As an avenue for large scale screens and tv's, OLED isn't cost effective or deeply researched by many manufacturers as of yet, hence the reason Sony's 11", $2000 tv, is the biggest and only thing that has been released on the consumer market...but with that said, I'll take 1,000,000:1 CR from a screen that dims 10% in 5 years over any plasma, lcd, or led lcd out now, just not at 11" and $2000!

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
If someone from Samsung, and someone from LG were in the same coffee shop together it would seem like they were conspiring to fix prices. The reality is LCD panels still cost money to make, and diminishing supplies in the hardware market have raised base component prices. All companies had to mark up prices.

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
Well the Price of the Lcd Market has gone down and people are finaly starting to afford LCD bc of competition. But if samsung teams up with other top companies to set a higher price for new products then prices will never come down.

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
Well the Price of the Lcd Market has gone down and people are finaly starting to afford LCD bc of competition. But if samsung teams up with other top companies to set a higher price for new products then prices will never come down.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
23" 2048X1152 LCD for less than $200 Canadian... SAMSUNG 2343BWX.
17" random ViewSonic LCD years ago for $450...

In the desktop market atleast, Samsung sells some of the best bang for your buck monitors.
While I believe in fair competition, the more money Samsung has, the sooner we'll all have 30" 6000x4000 OLED monitors.

Now here's price fixing... my local best buy sells a 50" plasma 720p/600Hz/2,000,000:1 for like $2000. If I order it online, I can get a equal 50" plasma for $650 with free shipping...
We have bigger issues to deal with here.

johnny_5

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
It's good that they got caught (assuming it is true).
I just bought a new 22" 1920X1080 monitor for $140 Canadian plus tax (free shipping, maybe $133 American). Never heard of the brand before, but it's supposed to be a relatively good product, so yay Black Friday.

burfordg

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
[citation][nom]beatcoaster[/nom]LCD is garbage anyway - start using OLED in your phones and quit complaining Nokia![/citation]

Too bad Samsung's the world's biggest OLED manufacturer.

shamgar

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
crysis will be tested on OLED screens soon for benchmarking. crysis will be the benchmark of choice for years to come. thank you crysis.

didymus03

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
I find it funny how you can run off to sue someone over the prices they CHOOSE to sell somethign or not.. Nokia I tend to like your products ( ofc Samsung is always the top for LCD TVs in my book ) but now ill have to show you th e finger due to the fact im really negative to this privilage you think you got and react in that manner. Cause as much as you dont like higher prices you also like lower prices and Idont like knowing that prices are capable to climb down dramatically and make ppl lives easier when they go shopping cause you think you an choose the market's lvls and profits. Make your product, put the price. If you are worth it ill buy it.

This is one of the most ignorant, reactive comments I've seen for a while. Don't you understand that Nokia's position here isn't against a single company choosing to sell a product at a certain price? The issue here is a much larger scale issue where larger market share companies conspire together to fix a price above what it should be due to competition (not saying it's false or true). That is essentially the same thing as a monopoly, but with several companies forming a cartel that controls prices rather than one monolithic company. Also, if Nokia does prove that this kind of practice has been going on, it will be very good for you, the consumer, because it means Nokia can offer lower, more competitive prices. Being the largest mobile company, that means more competition all around in the mobile market and lower prices for all of us. Nokia's not just jumping on Samsung because they are choosing to sell only their product at a certain price.

Status
Not open for further replies.