Nokia's Lumia 920, 820 to Feature Wireless Charging

Status
Not open for further replies.

friskiest

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
I don't know,. but I always see these phones as something snatched from the future,. the look, design and feel is so different from the other phones.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]friskiest[/nom]I don't know,. but I always see these phones as something snatched from the future,. the look, design and feel is so different from the other phones.[/citation]
Are there any new job openings over there at Nokia, where you work?

darkrydr3

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
Switching back from Windows Phone to Android because the marketplace is so scarce...
Hopefully they will have more apps withing the next few years because I really liked the way the OS runs

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
So just 8 MP? :-/

I was expecting something along 13 MP. Specially since it's using the brand PureView. After releasing a sweet 41 MP sensor, a 8 MP feels.... lacking.

Anything else sounds quite good.

innocent bystander

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
So just 8 MP? :-/

I was expecting something along 13 MP.

It's a phone. Why would you pack a 13MP sensor with crappy phone camera optics? At these resolutions (pretty much 6MP+ it all comes down to the optics. Everything else is just marketing gimmicks.

IB

hannibal

Distinguished
Hmmm... seems to be that they wanted to keep their first phones guite thin. I supose we will see better cameras in thicker phones... When you examine 808 you can easily see that good optics takes a lot of space.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]Vorador2[/nom]So just 8 MP? :-/I was expecting something along 13 MP. Specially since it's using the brand PureView. After releasing a sweet 41 MP sensor, a 8 MP feels.... lacking.Anything else sounds quite good.[/citation]
Should wait until tomorrow to get the actual specs instead of rumors. Many thought the 41Mpx was ridiculous, Nokia proved them wrong, who knows what they'll do this time.

[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]Are there any new job openings over there at Nokia, where you work?[/citation]
I lol'd at this, but seriously, you gotta admit no-one is going to mistake one of these for a Galaxy S-whatever or an iPhone. "Something snatched from the future" did seem a little hyperbolic, though.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
I am surprised more devices do not have wireless charging, heck my palm pre had it and it is over 4 years old now. it is pretty useful, i had a touchstone in my car, home and work and it just held in place and charged grab and go, set back on the base for speaker phone, was pretty cool

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]friskiest[/nom]I don't know,. but I always see these phones as something snatched from the future,. the look, design and feel is so different from the other phones.[/citation]
I think that's the point, if you put things that are obviously copied from other phones like, yknow, rounded corners, you get a billion dollar fine

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]innocent bystander[/nom]It's a phone. Why would you pack a 13MP sensor with crappy phone camera optics?[/citation]
You do realise the Nokia have had the best phone optics for years, Carl Zeiss lenses?

[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]You do realise the Nokia have had the best phone optics for years, Carl Zeiss lenses?[/citation]
Indeed, my old Nokia brick phone that I loved for years and years had a beautiful Carl Zeiss lens... which I never used once. I understand that smartphones are a touch more multimedia friendly than phones from the early 2000's, but still; if the camera on the phone is your make-or-break point in your purchasing decision, then you perhaps have some priorities that are a little off kilter.
At any rate, I am not knocking camera phones. The point is that I loved my old Nokia because it made great phone calls, and had reception EVERYWHERE. The fact that it had a great camera (for its day at any rate) was not something that was of large consideration then, and while I will get more use out of one with my next phone, it will not be a breaking point if the camera is not 'perfect', or xxMP, or have some brand of camera tech. It just has to take a picture, and be passable enough to share on FB so that family can see my son from time to time.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Old_Fogie_Late_Bloomer[/nom]I lol'd at this, but seriously, you gotta admit no-one is going to mistake one of these for a Galaxy S-whatever or an iPhone. "Something snatched from the future" did seem a little hyperbolic, though.[/citation]
True. At least it's not another cookie cutter black slab (not that that makes any difference to me - I just look at the screen)

vkg1

Honorable
May 18, 2012
I have to say that this looks like far and away the most compelling phone I have seen in ages. I'm sick to death of cheap plastic iPhone clones.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]if the camera on the phone is your make-or-break point in your purchasing decision, then you perhaps have some priorities that are a little off kilter[/citation]
That is true, but what really annoys people is when they do have to take a picture, they want it to be the best image quality possible and taking an otherwise good standard of MP rating and image enhancement software then pairing it with the crappiest optics is just rude. All phone makers should take note, OK Carl Zeiss has an exclusivity agreement with Nokia but what the hell is stopping Samsung, Motorola or Apple from having a chat with the people from Sigma, Canon or Nikon? C'mon guys, it's not rocket science.

altriss

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]OMG. With wireless charging, I'll save 3 to 4 seconds per day!![/citation]
and spare you the pain of broken connector! it's a very must from my point of view. Since the palm in 2008-2009 I was wonderring why no one tried again wireless charging?
Now I'm happy!!
Go nokia go!

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]OMG. With wireless charging, I'll save 3 to 4 seconds per day!![/citation]
I see loose or broken connectors on phones more often than I ever would have thought possible. I guess if you plug your high-powered smartphone in every night (sometimes during the day too, if you're gaming), that's quite a lot of wear and tear. If the port is built really stout and you're using a good cable, and you keep everything clean, you'll be fine. But there's a lot of devices that do not use really durable connectors, and people often use cheap chargers/cables that do not have perfect fitment. Then there's the hasty/tired/drunken plug in attempt gone horribly wrong.

To be fair I have never personally broken or damaged a USB port on a phone, not even the microUSB ones. But I've seen it happen, and over the course of hundreds of connections, I can understand how it might happen. So the wireless charging is a nice selling point, and not just for the 3 seconds it saves. Especially given that this device uses the Qi charging standard - that's right, they use a non-proprietary standard, and not a "standard" like Intel's Thunderbolt. Plus it's built into the phone, so you don't need any special case or cover for this phone to use Qi. You can even buy Qi mats with multiple spaces for charging multiple Qi devices simultaneously.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Man if the phone only looked better I'd be all over. What does it take to get someone to design a purdy looking windows. CAn these guys just higher the apple aesthetics team or something? It's annoying. I mean I want to switch from my iphone but it's still the best looking phone on the market by a long shot.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
I lol'd at this, but seriously, you gotta admit no-one is going to mistake one of these for a Galaxy S-whatever or an iPhone.

Ummm, iCrap enabled by stolen cash from its herd of cowed tech-morons is behind this phone also. Why? Well, it has rectangular shape with round edges... Was this not the claim they levied against Samsung? Oh yes, the slide to open feature was the other one.... Yes, one has to laugh as this can't be made up....

Status
Not open for further replies.