Nokia's Windows RT Tablet Gets Detailed

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Hard to gauge potential without a price but it shouldn't be too difficult to beat Surface:
http://bgr.com/2012/12/26/microsoft-surface-sales-christmas-2012-268839/

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
"These sources say Nokia is focusing a lot of its energy on the cover of the device, which clicks into place and offers both a keyboard and a kickstand (just like Microsoft's Type Cover)."

Err... the Surface's kickstand is on the tablet itself, not the Type Cover (I don't even know how a kickstand on the cover would work). So is there going to be a kickstand on the tablet akin to the Surface's, or is there a mechanism for holding the tablet upright in the cover?

[citation][nom]Kyuuketsuki[/nom]"These sources say Nokia is focusing a lot of its energy on the cover of the device, which clicks into place and offers both a keyboard and a kickstand (just like Microsoft's Type Cover)."Err... the Surface's kickstand is on the tablet itself, not the Type Cover (I don't even know how a kickstand on the cover would work). So is there going to be a kickstand on the tablet akin to the Surface's, or is there a mechanism for holding the tablet upright in the cover?[/citation]
There are only 3 ways I can see it standing up right:
1) The type cover is heavy enough, or close to as heavy as the tablet it self, so that it doesn't fall back.
2) The type cover extends back beyond the tablet, perhaps something that flips out to make it extend past the tablet on a surface.
3) The kickstand on the tablet itself.

2 and 3 make the most sense, as you don't want to make it any heavier than it needs to be. 3 has the added benefit of letting it stand up right even without the type cover, which is what the Surface does.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]There are only 3 ways I can see it standing up right:1) The type cover is heavy enough, or close to as heavy as the tablet it self, so that it doesn't fall back.2) The type cover extends back beyond the tablet, perhaps something that flips out to make it extend past the tablet on a surface.3) The kickstand on the tablet itself.2 and 3 make the most sense, as you don't want to make it any heavier than it needs to be. 3 has the added benefit of letting it stand up right even without the type cover, which is what the Surface does.[/citation]Although if it (the type cover-esque cover) does indeed have a battery, and they position the battery correctly, option 1 is still possible - if the tablet is lighter than the Surface (poly unibody rather than vapormg). We'll see. I personally like the stand, and I don't really care if it is in the tablet itself or in the cover (either seperate from the keyboard or attached). As long as the price is right - it's going to be really hard to charge $500 when a Surface is built so solidly.

I got my Nokia 920 so that I don't need to get a tablet, but if the build quality is anything like my 920 and I find that I need a tablet then I will be all over it. Nokia makes some good stuff!

G

I always think the market need more Windows Pro tablets in the market instead of RT. There are already many RT tablets everywhere, and they are not selling too well. Meanwhile, x86 tablets are rare. And some models such as Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro, or W700, can hardly be found anywhere. It is obvious that there are more people currently interested in x86 tablets which can run legacy desktop applications, despite them being heavier and has less battery life. Vendors should start looking at AMD APUs to see how they fit into this product category, and Intel should do more to improve power usage of their CPU.

fuzzion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom] Nokia makes some good stuff![/citation]

They made the 3210. It was shock proof, idiot proof, water proof, drop proof and could even microwave popcorns. Beat that !

hannibal

Distinguished
Yep, x86 Atom based Nokia Tablet would be much better and have more potential customers... IMHO
Surface pro is nice machine but: very expensive, eats a lot of power (because of very powerfull CPU) It is more like a laptop with remoweable screen. There is a lot space between Surface pro and Surface RT.

Status
Not open for further replies.