[SOLVED] Non Gig Router 2022?

JFaTaL12

Prominent
Dec 27, 2020
Hi there,
I have been looking around for a new router as my 2016 Netduma router is starting to show its age with WIFI drops and inconsistency.
Everywhere I have been looking has been highlighted around 1gb+ speeds when In reality I cap out at 200 Mbps (thanks spectrum), as the reviews say in said products that it would not be worth buying for my internet speeds.
Overall looking for a very good Router that can handle a good amount of devices and some heavy gaming. I am the main gamer of the house and always play via ethernet and usually am the only one with a wired network, my family relies more on the wifi and we usually have 7+ devices on at a time with at least 3 people a night on their phone, laptop and firestick tv.
Please level me some good router suggestions, no budget really in mind :)

Solution
Hi there,
I have been looking around for a new router as my 2016 Netduma router is starting to show its age with WIFI drops and inconsistency.
Everywhere I have been looking has been highlighted around 1gb+ speeds when In reality I cap out at 200 Mbps (thanks spectrum), as the reviews say in said products that it would not be worth buying for my internet speeds.
Overall looking for a very good Router that can handle a good amount of devices and some heavy gaming. I am the main gamer of the house and always play via ethernet and usually am the only one with a wired network, my family relies more on the wifi and we usually have 7+ devices on at a time with at least 3 people a night on their phone, laptop and firestick tv.
Please level...

kanewolf

Titan
Hi there,
Please level me some good router suggestions, no budget really in mind :)
Gaming on WIFI will ALWAYS be hit-or-miss. There is too much about WIFI that you can't control. If you are gaming on a wired connection, then any of the AC 1900 routers will be fine. I personally use Asus routers with Merlin firmware -- https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/ Pick one of the supported Asus routers on Merlin's support list and you will be good.

Solution

JFaTaL12

Prominent
Dec 27, 2020
Leaning towards a RT-AX88U or a RT-AX86U
There's only a $20 difference between the two so I was cleaning towards investing the extra $20 in the 88u as it seemed better in terms of wifi
Any thoughts?