Non-K Core i5 overclocking queries

CharlesLewisM

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014
Hey guys,

I'm using the core i5 3470 and I was wondering if I was able to overclock it. I've done many research about this cpu but I always kept getting mixed answers, some say they were able to overclock it to 4ghz no problems but some say you can't because its a locked processor. Both of these answers were owners of either Asrock motherboards or B75 motherboards.
So I really want to know if I have a chance of overclocking mine with the motherboard B75M D3H.

Many thanks to the contributors!

Solution
OK, so yes and no, you can OC with BCLK, BUT only to about 103-104 before you risk instabilities. The risk here is that every other bus hangs off the same clock, so you are increasing the sata bus too, which could mean that disk writes go bad. Other than that you can't do a lot.
OK, so yes and no, you can OC with BCLK, BUT only to about 103-104 before you risk instabilities. The risk here is that every other bus hangs off the same clock, so you are increasing the sata bus too, which could mean that disk writes go bad. Other than that you can't do a lot.

Solution