Non Paged Pool/Memory Leak

Jun 19, 2018
Hey everyone, I recently noticed using task manager that my non paged pool was slowly increasing over time, gradually from 200mb up to 700mb, and so on.

This stemmed from an issue were I was using 80% of my memory for no apparent reason. However, a quick restart fixed these issues as well as updating my NVIDIA Drivers. I then noticed that it still went up over the course of a day, and thus changed the value of ndu to 4 (from 2) as apparently this could fix some issues, despite this I have still noticed the problem, although on a smaller scale.

Is there anything else I can do to fix this issue?

Solution

If you don't need to monitor your network usage, so that you don't exceed your ISP's data cap for your internet plan, then there's no problem in disabling NDU.
Did you first determine which process(es) were using the largest share of NP Pool? Such info is readily available in Task Manager.

Task_Manager_NPPool.jpg

Jun 19, 2018

Hello, im unsure how you see NP pool, I cannot see a heading for NP pool, although for memory itself the no.1 usage is SearchUI followed by svchost if this helps
SearchUI = 115,504 K
svchost = 85,208

If you can tell me how to check the NP pool, I will check ASAP, thanks!

Right-clicking on the column header row will pop up a context menu where you can then left click on the Select columns menu option. A Select columns popup window will appear where you can scroll down and check the NP Pool check box and then click on the OK button. The NP Pool column should now appear as one of the visible data columns. Clicking on the NP Pool column header name will toggle the sort order (i.e. ascending or descending numeric order).

Task_Manager_NPPool_Enable_Column.jpg

Jun 19, 2018

Thanks you so much! for now AVG is taking the most NP Pool (104 K), although it currently is not an issue due to a recent restart. I noticed that windows photos was taking up 500mb of memory though! I disabled background apps (using the windows settings privacy options), but it seems it came back, whether or not this was due to a windows update I am not sure.

I am planning on letting my PC run for a small while to see the problem replicate and see the NP pool culprit, until then, can you confirm if turning off NDU is safe for a PC?

If you don't need to monitor your network usage, so that you don't exceed your ISP's data cap for your internet plan, then there's no problem in disabling NDU.

Solution
Jun 19, 2018

I can confirm that after some time, the process using the most NP pool is AVGSvc.exe, with SearchUI as a close follow up. Despite this, the NP pool doesn't seem to go above 600mb now, after essentially a days use. If it continues to grow further, and AVG continues being the issue, I assume uninstalling would the correct fix?