[SOLVED] Non-RAID drive on Intel RSTe by Supermicro. How? MBD-X12DAI-N6-P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hale_JP

Prominent
Oct 3, 2022
I am configuring a DP workstation by Supermicro, and can not make it boot from a non-RAID drive, when RAID mode is enabled.

The OS(windows) was installed before the decision was made to improve the redundancy. Basically it is not about the OS drivers, but the boot drive is simply ignored by the motherboard.

It is detected in CMOS disk setup. But no boot option, and the system passes directly to the EFI console, not even trying to boot.

What should be done to make it start booting from the drive? I am actually surprised by such behaviour because with Dell Xeon&RSTe-based workstations I never had such a problem. There I was just putting Windows in "safeboot minimal" mode and changing the controller to RAID. It did not work like that with SuperMicro.

Solution
You went from AHCI to RAID for a SATA drive, right?

The manual on page 111 says that for RAID mode to be bootable, you must "set the CSM Storage OPRM policy to Legacy." Presumably there's no UEFI native option ROM for the RSTe so you have to use the CSM to load the Legacy BIOS one, then you could create a single-drive RAID "array" like normal to boot from it.

The compatibility matrix says a NVMe drive can only be used in RAID mode for that particular board, and then only in Win 10 Enterprise.

Ralston18

Titan
[Moderator note: moving post from Motherboards to Storage.]

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Which/what boot environment is required: non-RAID or RAID?

If you are not working with a Dell Xeon&RSTe-based workstation then what/why would you expect a successful boot from a non-RAID drive when RAID is enabled?

More information needed.

Hale_JP

Prominent
Oct 3, 2022
What, why? I tis a problem of particular motherboard! Does anyone in HDD forum even understand how SUpermicro boards are configured?

What OS? It is UEFI-boot.

"Which/what boot environment is required: non-RAID or RAID? "
Are you joking? By the text: "boot from a non-RAID drive, when RAID mode is enabled. " That simple.

"If you are not working with a Dell Xeon&RSTe-based workstation "
Who told you I am not? Are you just turning all I asked upside down?

Last edited by a moderator:
What specific board?

Why RAID? RAID has very few use cases in the consumer realm.

UEFI-boot is NOT an OS. What specific OS are you referring to?

You came here asking for help. We in here cannot see your system therefore must ask questions because you failed to provide anything approaching adequate information.

Hale_JP

Prominent
Oct 3, 2022
What specific board?
See the title: MBD-X12DAI-N6-P

Why RAID? RAID has very few use cases in the consumer realm.
We are not a simple consumer

UEFI-boot is NOT an OS
Actually, UEFI is a basic "almost" OS for board management. It has device drivers, it understands partitions, has system calls, and even a console.
That should be enough to understand the problem. If the boot loader starts, I have no further questions. But it does not.

therefore must ask questions
I will happily answer any question relevant to the problem. And will be happier if my topic does not change address after just keywords lookup.

You went from AHCI to RAID for a SATA drive, right?

The manual on page 111 says that for RAID mode to be bootable, you must "set the CSM Storage OPRM policy to Legacy." Presumably there's no UEFI native option ROM for the RSTe so you have to use the CSM to load the Legacy BIOS one, then you could create a single-drive RAID "array" like normal to boot from it.

The compatibility matrix says a NVMe drive can only be used in RAID mode for that particular board, and then only in Win 10 Enterprise.

Reactions: Hale_JP
Solution

Hale_JP

Prominent
Oct 3, 2022
BFG-9000, Great! That was exactly the explanation I was looking for. You told it better than any support operator; these guys start from "you need to reinstall, and you need to rebuild array", without turning their head on.

That is not the "legacy" I was thinking aout :-(
After Dell workstations, I am kind of disappointed by how S-M makes "support" of simplest things which were working even in the times of Ivy Bridge EP. Not being able to boot from a non-raid drive BY DESIGN on this board is something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts