non wide screen monitors (5:4 ratio) Vs wide screen monitors (16:9 ratio)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LinComp

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
Are there any issues with using computer monitors with Aspect ratio of 5:4 in today's world? i think these screens are less wide compared to the wide screen monitors that are commonly available nowadays. to be honest i just hate these 15.6 inch wide screen monitors because everything looks small on that screen and in my opinion the square type or the fullish type screens produce relatively larger pictures, larger letter size etc and in the past the laptops used to come with these 15 inch more squarish or more fullish type screens and i liked them for the reasons mentioned above but nowadays they are no more available. So i decided to buy a monitor of 17 inches for my desktop i am planning to build, and this screen has 5:4 aspect ratio, my question is are there any technical problems in using these monitors (non-wide screen) since the aspect ratio 5:4 of these monitors is not consistent with the more commonly used monitors (wide screen) with aspect ration of 16:9 or so? Will the pictures or display get distorted or any other technical problems or does it not matter and we can buy whatever type of screen available in the market?

momboso

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Someone please reply and help with this matter.

I have a similar question: I want to try dual 19", 5:4 monitors on a desktop build. Do most of these monitors have modern connection options, or just VGA? Will the choice of motherboard be constrained by using this unusual monitor configuration?

momboso

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
I see all kinds of adapters from newer ports to older monitors. Is it better to choose a mobo based on other criteria and adapt the display connector(s), or to pick a mobo that outputs to the given display connector(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.