[SOLVED] noob gpu/upgrade compatability help

Feb 4, 2021
Hello, apologies for im sure yet another compatibilty question, i hope im posting this in the right spot.

I am new to computers as a hobby, and am only upgrading now because my ancient gpu finally pooped out.
My requirements are being able to play skyrim and surf the web, my budget is likewise simple, a few hundred dollars.

Heres the situation and what ive got-

Mobo- MSI 870 - G45
GPU - GTX 460, Twin Frozr ii cooler
CPU - AMD Phenom ii x2
RAM - G.Skill ddr3 x2gb (x2)
PWS - Antec Earthwatts 500w
On a new seagate hdd. Only new thing other than the case.

My fans on the twin frozr ii became so dirty the wires fused ( over a long period of use) i attempted to repair and clean when i became aware, but it was too late, and one of the fans totally stopped without me knowing while under intense load. The screen began artifacting hard, and it shut off, straight to black. if i wait, the cpu boots and posts just fine, i can even load windows 10 for a few minutes, before it happens. leading me to think its the gpu failing from heat damage due to the broken frozr ii, all other components seem fine.

Simply, i need a new gpu. the heaviest use ill see is skyrim, so thats a consideration.

1)is my diagnosis correct? Google images of the same artifacting white squares, also were of peoples failing gpu. alsothe fan i found stopped, it seems obvious. but idk

2)Compatability. What can my power supply handle? How hard will i bottle neck when it comes to the old cpu? And what effect would that have on games like skyrim? Should i replace the cpu, how about the old RAM? What about this ancient mobo?

3) safety
This thing is so old im afraid to so much as look at it wrong, and apparently some of the these mobos caught on fire in like 2011. I have a small budget and the security of the HDD is a primary concern.
Given this,
I want to just replace as little as possible, with as little risk to the system as possible (big concern, especially hdd) at the greatest performance benefit.

Pardon my ignorance, please help!

Last edited:
Solution
Hello, apologies for im sure yet another compatibilty question, i hope im posting this in the right spot.

I am new to computers as a hobby, and am only upgrading now because my ancient gpu finally pooped out.
My requirements are being able to play skyrim and surf the web, my budget is likewise simple, a few hundred dollars.

Mobo- MSI 870 - G45
CPU - AMD Phenom ii x2

My fans on the twin frozr ii became so dirty the wires fused ( over a long period of use) i attempted to repair and clean when i became aware, but it was too late, and one of the...

Mobo- MSI 870 - G45
CPU - AMD Phenom ii x2

My fans on the twin frozr ii became so dirty the wires fused ( over a long period of use) i attempted to repair and clean when i became aware, but it was too late, and one of the fans totally stopped without me knowing while under intense load. The screen began artifacting hard, and it shut off, straight to black. if i wait, the cpu boots and posts just fine, i can even load windows 10 for a few minutes, before it happens. leading me to think its the gpu failing from heat damage due to the broken frozr ii, all other components seem fine.

Simply, i need a new gpu. the heaviest use ill see is skyrim, so thats a consideration.

1)is my diagnosis correct? Google images of the same artifacting white squares, also were of peoples failing gpu. alsothe fan i found stopped, it seems obvious. but idk

2)Compatability. What can my power supply handle? How hard will i bottle neck when it comes to the old cpu? And what effect would that have on games like skyrim? Should i replace the cpu, how about the old RAM? What about this ancient mobo?

3) safety
This thing is so old im afraid to so much as look at it wrong, and apparently some of the these mobos caught on fire in like 2011. I have a small budget and the security of the HDD is a primary concern.
Given this,
I want to just replace as little as possible, with as little risk to the system as possible (big concern, especially hdd) at the greatest performance benefit.

Pardon my ignorance, please help!
Practically any new GPU would be good enough, I would suggest AMD Rx 560, no use throwing any more money in that system.

Solution