Question Noob, need help with old hardware

May 11, 2022
Hello, I registered because I've encountered a problem that I'm clueless on how to handle.

My old PC broke so I bought some old hardware to replace it and salvage the parts from my old computer, unfortunately this computer has some really weird heat spikes that I can't figure what the problem is. I only purchased the CPU secondhand(i7-4790k) and a new cooler(Water Cooler CPU MSI MAG CoreLiquid 240R), the rest I already owned, my previous CPU was i7-4790.

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz 58 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
16,0GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 932MHz (10-11-10-30)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z87-A (SOCKET 1150) 28 °C
Graphics
G276HL (1920x1080@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 (ASUStek Computer Inc) 36 °C
Storage
931GB Crucial CT1000MX500SSD1 (SATA (SSD))
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-21M2NA0 (SATA ) 28 °C
232GB Crucial CT250BX100SSD1 (SATA (SSD)) 23 °C
Optical Drives
Alcohol V-SATA CD/DVD
Audio
NVIDIA High Definition Audio

The problem is, sometimes the CPU has some odd heat spikes when doing normal desktop stuff like opening 2 browsers and several tabs at the same time, I'm talking about 90º to 105º spikes when it usually hangs on 45º to 55º.

I'm noob and not familiar with bios settings, and I was wondering if anyone with a Z87-a could help me find the best settings for this CPU, my goal is to undervolt it or sacrifice performance, I'd rather have it stable and cool.

Edit:
Decided to post some photos of my bios.

https://i.ibb.co/Tr8w6y2/1652263210910.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/gFwNtsW/1652263210901.jpg

Last edited:
new cooler(Water Cooler CPU MSI MAG CoreLiquid 240R)

90º to 105º spikes when it usually hangs on 45º to 55º
these coolers are known for failing pumps.
i've seen 10+ threads here alone with the exact same issue.

the spikes may be caused by intermittent failure or just blockage in the flow of liquid.

if it is new i would suggest returning it and getting an AIO that doesn't have the pump located inside the radiator or just go with a nice air tower cooler.

Reactions: Irxson
water pump need to be setup differently then normal fan in bios fan profile
waterpump is usualy in 5000-8000rpm range, going as low as your picture shows (1500rpm) will make your water flow very slowly
i dont know where is your pump connected (which fan header), but that has to be changed from automatic mode to full speed
radiator fans can be left in automatic mode as long its okay with your ears

May 11, 2022
QUOTE="kerberos_20, post: 22689513, member: 636323"]
water pump need to be setup differently then normal fan in bios fan profile
waterpump is usualy in 5000-8000rpm range, going as low as your picture shows (1500rpm) will make your water flow very slowly
i dont know where is your pump connected (which fan header), but that has to be changed from automatic mode to full speed
radiator fans can be left in automatic mode as long its okay with your ears
[/QUOTE]

It seems it's connected to the opt fan, but do you know where I can modify the rpm on the z87-a? I can't find any option aside from setting both cpu fans to turbo setting.

May 11, 2022
Well, I tried changing the fan headers too, even at 100% the RPM is never more than 1900rpm, it's weird because I don't remember the PC being this hot when I first installed the liquid cooler, how do I make sure it's the liquid cooler fault and not my bios that's causing the overheating? I want to RMA the cooler but I'm afraid he might be working properly and I'm just clueless.

Well, I tried changing the fan headers too, even at 100% the RPM is never more than 1900rpm, it's weird because I don't remember the PC being this hot when I first installed the liquid cooler, how do I make sure it's the liquid cooler fault and not my bios that's causing the overheating? I want to RMA the cooler but I'm afraid he might be working properly and I'm just clueless.
https://www.msi.com/Liquid-Cooling/MAG-CORELIQUID-240R/Specification
fan speed up to 2000rpm
pump speed 4200rpm +-10%, it will need 0.3ampers for full speed, your fan headers are limited to 1amper, so that cant be an issue
try setting up all you fans into turbo (100%) speed, maybe one of them will skyrocket in rpm into 4k range

May 11, 2022
https://www.msi.com/Liquid-Cooling/MAG-CORELIQUID-240R/Specification
fan speed up to 2000rpm
pump speed 4200rpm +-10%, it will need 0.3ampers for full speed, your fan headers are limited to 1amper, so that cant be an issue
try setting up all you fans into turbo (100%) speed, maybe one of them will skyrocket in rpm into 4k range
I gave up and tried an old air cooler I had lying around that has a large heatsink and reaches 2500rpm, in the same circumstances that made my cpu reach 100º, now it won't go above 70º.

Either my mobo doesn't like the water cooler, or it is faulty. I have owned it for roughly a year now, I am wondering if I should RMA it, but I have no other computer to test it on.

I have owned it for roughly a year now, I am wondering if I should RMA it
a few times now i've seen owners commenting on MSI having a dedicated page for the MAG CoreLiquid failing pump issue due to it being so common.
there you should have the option to input your info and see if you qualify for their upgrade/replacement options or if you would need to request an actual RMA.
contact their tech support and see where they may lead you.