[SOLVED] Noob question about a new GPU

Ako McChicken

Reputable
Nov 27, 2019
Hello everyone, as the title says I don't understand very much about computer hardware.

I should change my GPU and I would like to know what GPU you would recommend me with my actual computer specs.

CPU: Intel i7-5820K 3.30 GHz
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN
Motherboard: ASUS STRIX x99 Gaming

Thank you very much, if you need more informations just tell me!

Andrea

Solution
You have an old but very decent CPU even by today's standards, and you should not have any issues with upgrading that almost 7-years old GPU. Even lower-midrange cards like 1650 Super are faster today (though only by like 10%).

Your upgrade can be anything starting from 1660 Super (55% faster) and above, depending on your budget, all the way up to 2080Ti (240% faster). Your call.
You have an old but very decent CPU even by today's standards, and you should not have any issues with upgrading that almost 7-years old GPU. Even lower-midrange cards like 1650 Super are faster today (though only by like 10%).

Your upgrade can be anything starting from 1660 Super (55% faster) and above, depending on your budget, all the way up to 2080Ti (240% faster). Your call.

Solution

Ako McChicken

Reputable
Nov 27, 2019
Yes, it is a pretty old computer but it is still doing his job!

Thank you very much for your answer. According to you, what is the best quality-price GPU at the moment?

What power supply do you have?

A good question, which I avoided to ask only because the OP currently owns GTX Titan, which is a 250W TDP card with 1x6 pin and 1x8 pin connector, and considering the quality of other components I'd say it is a pretty safe bet that the PSU is a VERY good, if not excellent model. Virtually any GPU today will work with the PSU that can power a GTX Titan.

DSzymborski

Titan
A good question, which I avoided to ask only because the OP currently owns GTX Titan, which is a 250W TDP card with 1x6 pin and 1x8 pin connector, and considering the quality of other components I'd say it is a pretty safe bet that the PSU is a VERY good, if not excellent model. Virtually any GPU today will work with the PSU that can power a GTX Titan.

I once saw a co-worker "successfully" powering an HD 7970 on a Rocketfish PSU. Lots of drunk drivers make it home safely.

Reactions: herrwizo
I once saw a co-worker "successfully" powering an HD 7970 on a Rocketfish PSU. Lots of drunk drivers make it home safely.

Haha, true that :D

To the OP: in $400 range, your best bet are either Nvidia 2600 Super or AMD Radeon 5700 XT (this one is faster of the two).

You can even go for the $350 AMD Radeon 5700 (regular version without "XT"). It is still plenty fast and a great upgrade over your current card.

JaAntonio

Honorable
BANNED
Nov 13, 2019
Hello @Ako McChicken , it's okey to run an rtx 2070Super or RX5700XT, i recommend this one honestly, the AMD version, it's cheaper, no rtx, but if its fine to you give it a try. But you should change you PSU for the bad quality overall. You could keep it, but is in your own, just giving you some advice. Good PSUs are not that expensive, i could give you some examples if you needed.
In my case im using EVGA BQ850w, which is good to run only one gpu withouth problems.

Best regards