Question Noob to GPU need to replace card

Aug 10, 2019
I have an Dell XPS 8700 and currently using an ungodly terrible GPU that came with the computer, a Nvidia GTX 660. These days, it's hard to run any game without it constantly chopping with it's fps.

I have a budget of $300-$400, which graphics card would be optimum for high quality gaming on my POS system?

Also, I've never replaced a PC part. Is there anything extra I need to know about replacing a GPU besides its dimensions, and if it'll fit into the PCI slot(?)

Thank you.

I have an Dell XPS 8700 and currently using an ungodly terrible GPU that came with the computer, a Nvidia GTX 660. These days, it's hard to run any game without it constantly chopping with it's fps.

I have a budget of $300-$400, which graphics card would be optimum for high quality gaming on my POS system?

Also, I've never replaced a PC part. Is there anything extra I need to know about replacing a GPU besides its dimensions, and if it'll fit into the PCI slot(?)

Thank you.

Hi, can you post the rest of your system specs? There are quite a few different versions of the Dell XPS 8700...

There are quite a few good GPU options in the $300 - $400 range, however before looking need to check system specs. The main thing needed for a fast gpu (other than the PCIe slot) is a decent power supply with connectors for the GPU. I think from memory that then GTX 660 should have one power lead connected directly to it so hopefully your PSU should be up to the task.

You may also need to upgrade your ram (again hard to say without knowing the full specs). I would say that a GTX 660 should be fast enough to run most modern games reasonably on lower settings.

Aug 10, 2019
Sure! Sorry I didn't include the rest of the specs. Here they are...

CPU: Intel i7-4770 @ 3.4GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 cores
Power Supply: 460W Max (I think, it says on the side of my computer)
16gb ram
GTX 660 1.5gb
Bios version (A13) (not sure if this helps)
Windows 7 64 bit
I'm not sure if there's anything else I need to post. Thank you so much.

And yeah unfortunately not so, I tried to run both Fallout 3 & Borderlands 2, and for the first couple minutes or so they post at 60 fps, but before long they drop to a consistent 20-30 fps and it's incredibly annoying. Maybe overheating? But I have a fan on it and recently dusted it out with canned air.

Sure! Sorry I didn't include the rest of the specs. Here they are...

CPU: Intel i7-4770 @ 3.4GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 cores
Power Supply: 460W Max (I think, it says on the side of my computer)
16gb ram
GTX 660 1.5gb
Bios version (A13) (not sure if this helps)
Windows 7 64 bit
I'm not sure if there's anything else I need to post. Thank you so much.

And yeah unfortunately not so, I tried to run both Fallout 3 & Borderlands 2, and for the first couple minutes or so they post at 60 fps, but before long they drop to a consistent 20-30 fps and it's incredibly annoying. Maybe overheating? But I have a fan on it and recently dusted it out with canned air.

Ok, so that PSU is going to limit you a bit on graphics card options. Firstly can you check what power connectors are available for the graphics card? Does it offer 8 pin connectors or just 6 pin?

I think either way, at 460W it will limit you to low (ish) power cards (e.g. the Geforce 1660 / 1660ti cards). Cards like the RTX 2060 and the new RX 5700 / 5700 XT are in your budget but I think you'd need to also upgrade the power supply to be safe to run those kind of cards.

Aug 10, 2019
Ok, so that PSU is going to limit you a bit on graphics card options. Firstly can you check what power connectors are available for the graphics card? Does it offer 8 pin connectors or just 6 pin?

I think either way, at 460W it will limit you to low (ish) power cards (e.g. the Geforce 1660 / 1660ti cards). Cards like the RTX 2060 and the new RX 5700 / 5700 XT are in your budget but I think you'd need to also upgrade the power supply to be safe to run those kind of cards.
I only have 6 pin connectors but i'm not sure if it "offers" 8 pin connectors.