Noobie GPT / MBR installation question

cococabana

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
Hey guys so I have something to ask you folks :D

I currently have an MBR partitioned SSD with two partitions (C and D).

I am thinking of reinstalling windows. I will create a bootable USB using Rufus and set it to GPT scheme for UEFI.

My question is can I install it on only C and keep my D drive intact considering it was created in an MBR environment? or is that not possible?

I want to go with the UEFI/GPT scheme because I want fastboot and all the bling that comes with it.

Solution
To install in GPT mode, you'll have to wipe your SSD.
Change from MBR to GPT partitioning scheme requires that. All data will be lost.

You can save your data, if you backup it to another drive.

cococabana

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
I see. Thank you so much. Will do :) And ultra fastboot and all that stuff only comes with GPT UEFI right?

If you restart your PC 5 times per day, then fast boot might be important for you.
But if you're like me and restart your PC once or twice per month, then reinstall of PC because of MBR->GPT migration is hardly worth it.

cococabana

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
Thanks for the help mate! Kind of yes - haha. I live in a 3rd world country where we have scheduled electric outages 3 times a day ^^ Already did it - ran into a bit of problem but command line to the rescue!

FYI if anyone is wondering the same thing, you cant directly install a GPT / UEFI Win10 USB onto a MBR partitioned HDD. It will not take care of the issue itself. instead do the following:

1. At the serial number screen press shift + f10, this will opem cmd.
2. type diskpart
3. type list disk
4. select disk 0 (or whatever the disk you want ot isntall on, mine was disk 0)
5. clean
6. convert GPT

the GPT / UEFI Win10 USB should now install no problemo!