[SOLVED] Noobie question about bundled 5ghz chanels (80vht)

Dec 7, 2020
TL;DR: My router doesn't let me select channel 42. Will selecting 36, 40, 44 or 48 give me the benefits of 80mhz channel bundling?

Hello everyone.
I am very new to the topic of networks and I'm trying to set up my home's wifi.
I'm currently studying the topic that there is the possibility of bundling four 20mhz channels into one 80mhz one, and thus having more bandwidth.
A search yields me tons of images like this one:
5GHz-1024x264.png

It shows how, if your router allows it, one can select say the 80vht option and channel 42mhz will then have all the bandwidth of channels 36 through 48.

My question is this: For some reason my router, does allow me to select 80vth, but it doesn't let me select channel 42. I don't know why. I'm guessing maybe its because it's not available in my country.
Anyway, am I correct in assuming that as long as I select my routers' 80vht option and a channel number that falls within 36 and 48, I am, in fact, within the range that would be covered with 42 and therefore will have the bandwidth of all unii-1 channels available?

In other words: I'm trying to use 80vth, but my router doesn't let me select channel 42. Will 36, 40, 44 or 48 do?

Hope this all makes sense and someone can clarify this for me.
Thanks a lot and best regards.

Solution
Good luck figuring this mess out. Router manufactures are extremely inconsistent in how they do this. I know some you select the bottom channel and it will use the channel width setting to figure it out.

Your best option likely is to just use the auto option and see what the router picks. If the router has the feature it may attempt to use the DFS restricted channels. You can no specify these channel numbers manually in most countries and the only way to use them is if the router supports it. Because many routers do not have this support you may get less interference from your neighbors.
Good luck figuring this mess out. Router manufactures are extremely inconsistent in how they do this. I know some you select the bottom channel and it will use the channel width setting to figure it out.

Your best option likely is to just use the auto option and see what the router picks. If the router has the feature it may attempt to use the DFS restricted channels. You can no specify these channel numbers manually in most countries and the only way to use them is if the router supports it. Because many routers do not have this support you may get less interference from your neighbors.

Solution