Normal idle for a 5820K

eli_harper13

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016
My lightly OC 5820K idles at about 40C (package), does this look normal?
Highest under load Ive seen is 78C package and highest any core has gotten is 69C
Case fans and cpu fan on about 30% at idle

My build:
Asus X99-m ws
5820k @ 4.0GHz 1.238 volts (4.1GHz @ 2 cores)
Noctua NH-D9DX i4 3U CPU cooler
Corsair 240

My usual temps per core (HWmonitor) about 23C ambient:

0: 22C
1: 25C
2: 25C
3: 23C
4: 25C
5: 24C

Solution
The relentless combination of elevated temperatures and elevated voltages increases electromigration and slowly degrades all CPUs (eventually) Yes check it out and get some data. Data is good.

Rummage around with FRostyTech and look at some other coolers, or any cooler you can check there before you buy.

OK. I took your temperatures to be under load, not stress. If they are stress temperatures, then I'm no longer concerned, especially if load is on the 50s. That's completely fine, good in fact.
Your temperatures are higher than I'd like. You can shave about 10C off your temps with a better cooler. Are you limited to 3U or can you go bigger?

The Raijintek Pallas will fit 3U, I use it and it should run around 10C cooler under load, and just as quiet.

The idle temperatures look fine.

eli_harper13

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016

Well on my 6600k build, which is also in a corsair air 240, I have a nh-l12 but I replaced the 120mm fan that came on it with a NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 PWM (which yes is very loud but I don't care about noise). Its got a decent OC of 4.4 @ about 1.35 volts. It only gets in the 60s under load but then again it has only a 95W TDP. I could do that same setup, only reason I didn't is because I wanted them to look different from each other. I could also add a 2nd 92mm fan to my current cooler.

I think we all agree the idle is great, but there are better coolers for 200W, even 3U. My experience is with the i7 5930, so I'm extrapolating a little.

I should perhaps have said 'run up to 10C cooler'

The second fan will give you about 3C more (less : ))

Where possible, I prefer downdraft coolers to help with VRMs, motherboard, and, RAM. The Noctua C12 should fit 3U too, and if you have the room, the C14 would be even better.

eli_harper13

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016

Well perhaps I can try the same set up as I have on my 6600k. Its package idles at about 27C. I can't go any taller that 120mm on a cooler... Well I might could squeeze 125mm in there

eli_harper13

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016
Don't think I can do the C14 but I can do the 12 for sure. I know I have an extra NF-F12 3000 so I could put it on there too for more cfm.
I'm kinda new at this so prehaps you can answer this for me. Another reason I went with the D9DX is because it was specifically for the 2011-v3 and I know its a big CPU, are the size of the base plates all the same on these coolers?

Here's a review of the Pallas on a 200W LGA 2011 platform test. http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2765&page=6

I used it on my i7 4790K and got to 4.7 Ghz at sub 60C fill load and 80C stress, and got to 4.8Ghz at similar temps on a NH D15S.

I tested lower temperatures than you are getting with, by about 7 degrees at a 4.0Ghz overclock, and a slightly higher voltage on an i7 5930K.

That Noctua is specially for SMALL 2011-v3 installations. I think it will even fit on a mITX board. The chip inside is bigger, but the cases are all about the same size, which is why collers are 'universal' across Xeon, Haswell, Haswell-E, FX???? Athlon and Uncle Tom Cobley and all.

eli_harper13

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016

Those are some really good numbers. I appreciate all the info. I just completed my build mid last week and I've been working 7 days a week so I haven't really had the time to use it and tweak on it. I have the weekend off so I'm gonna test some things and see how my temps do under some other heavy loads before I spend the money changing my cooler.

Oh and in case it matters, I'm hitting 78C during stress test, never seen it over 50C from gaming or anything but like I said, I haven't really been able to use it.

The relentless combination of elevated temperatures and elevated voltages increases electromigration and slowly degrades all CPUs (eventually) Yes check it out and get some data. Data is good.

Rummage around with FRostyTech and look at some other coolers, or any cooler you can check there before you buy.

OK. I took your temperatures to be under load, not stress. If they are stress temperatures, then I'm no longer concerned, especially if load is on the 50s. That's completely fine, good in fact.

Solution

eli_harper13

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016

Yeah I'm gonna tray to get in a few hours on Witcher 3 at 4k and see how they do (the hardest game I have to run), I'll report back after.

Will do, thanks again!

eli_harper13

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016

Yeah I just read them. Good to know all the base plates will be the same size

eli_harper13

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016
Just thought I'd give an update. Ended up changing my cooler to a NH-U9S with dual fans, idle was a little lower and load dropped a good bit. But then I also installed and reinstalled HWmonitor, and for some reason, that changed all my core temps by 10C higher than before at idle? And during stress test, my package temp is usually the same or close to the temp of my hottest core. So now my cores idle at about 27-32C and my pack is still around 38-41C. But during stress test, I haven't seen my package get over 73C and my hottest core temp will be 73C as well. So maybe after reinstalling its more accurate now? Don't understand why. Haven't been able to game to see what my max temps are under load since reinstalling HWmonitor.

lyricyst2000

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015
Hyper 212 Evo on my 5820k and I idle at exactly 40C. My room is usually comfortable, maybe a bit above standard room temperature. I have hit load temps over 80 in one particular benchmark, otherwise I rarely break 70.

Good info. What's your overclock and voltage?

TRENDING THREADS