Question Normal ping increase?

Pavlosmelas

Reputable
Apr 21, 2020
Hi all,

A question, when I connect my router with a UTP cable directly to my computer I get a ping of 13 ms with internet/upload speed of 100/30 mbs. I recently moved my computer to the attic, I toke a 10 meter UTP cat 6 cable from the router to the attic (through a PVC pipe) and connected it to an internet wall adaptor.
From the adaptor I connected it to my PC. with an 2m UTP. Now I still have an identical speed of 100/30 mbs but suddently have a ping of 21 ms. This is not a 'spectacular' increase and 21 ms is still fine for me but I was just wondering if a 10 meter extra UTP and an adaptor can already cause a ping increase of 8 ms? I rather expected something like 2-3 ms. I understood that the 10 meter length of the cable is still not so much to even increase it with 1 ms (theoretically). Everything is 100% copper as well, no CCA.

I want to soon place a switch as well for a printer and NAS and now I am afraid the ping increases even more again.

Thanks

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
Hi all,

A question, when I connect my router with a UTP cable directly to my computer I get a ping of 13 ms with internet/upload speed of 100/30 mbs. I recently moved my computer to the attic, I toke a 10 meter UTP cat 6 cable from the router to the attic (through a PVC pipe) and connected it to an internet wall adaptor.
From the adaptor I connected it to my PC. with an 2m UTP. Now I still have an identical speed of 100/30 mbs but suddently have a ping of 21 ms. This is not a 'spectacular' increase and 21 ms is still fine for me but I was just wondering if a 10 meter extra UTP and an adaptor can already cause a ping increase of 8 ms? I rather expected something like 2-3 ms. I understood that the 10 meter length of the cable is still not so much to even increase it with 1 ms (theoretically). Everything is 100% copper as well, no CCA.

I want to soon place a switch as well for a printer and NAS and now I am afraid the ping increases even more again.

Thanks
Within a home, the length of cable will not change ping times. Ping is in milliseconds, electrical signals travel at the speed of light. SO, 1ms is over 900,000 feet -- https://calculate.plus/en/categories/length/convert/light-millisecond/to/ft . The maximum length ethernet cable is 300 ft. Ethernet cable length will not change your ping times.

If you were to place 100 gigabit switches between your router and your pc you might increase the latency 1ms because most switch must read the data into a buffer and retransmit it. If the packet is maximum length of 1500 bytes it take 12 microseconds ie 1/1000ms. Average packet size is smaller so it the average delay is less.

But this is data for nerds you can't detect it with consumer grade equipment and even if you could it makes not difference to performance.