[SOLVED] Normal upload speed, download speed is ~5% of what it normally is.

Dylan8932

Honorable
Sep 11, 2016
Randomly last night my internet dropped to 15 mbps download speed when usually it hovers around 450 mbps. My upload speed is unchanged. This has resulted in inconsistent connections in online games, buffering youtube videos/streams, extended time in downloading videos, and the like. There will be times when it randomly briefly (minutes tops) goes back to 400 but then back to 15. I talked to spectrum twice about this and they keep saying it looks normal on their end and that they need to send an agent out here which would be monday. I figured I'd try to fix it myself before then so does anyone have any suggestions? Nothing was tampered with when this issue started, and I tried restarting my router/modem, checked coax connections, unplugged/plugged in router/modem. What else can I do here? This is an issue for both wired and wireless internet.

Solution
Very little you can do yourself. It is likely some cable issue outside the house. You can look at the signal levels and see how they compare with recommended values.

The only thing in your control is the final piece of coax between the modem and where the cable comes into the house. There is a small chance it is some splitter or other cable issue in the house so you could connect as close as possible to where he cable comes in and see if anything changes.
Very little you can do yourself. It is likely some cable issue outside the house. You can look at the signal levels and see how they compare with recommended values.

The only thing in your control is the final piece of coax between the modem and where the cable comes into the house. There is a small chance it is some splitter or other cable issue in the house so you could connect as close as possible to where he cable comes in and see if anything changes.

Solution