Norway Shooter 'Trained' with Modern Warfare, Not WoW

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i've been playing nba 2k series and im still not good at basketball :)

i mean come on, he's like, what, 33? even teenagers can figure out how to shoot people who can't fire back.
you dont need training for that, it's not like he had a shootout with marines right?

he's obviously sick

scubasteve526

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
You know when I think about it I want him to say he used Modern Warfare to train. I wouldn't mind MW being banned since it's an already crappy series that's just being milked for money. I would LOVE to see that crap removed off shelves and digital vendors.

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Get a teen, make him play Modern Warfare for 6 months, then send him to Afghanistan and he'll be dead within a day!

Yeah... What a bullshit! I've served in a military and I've played Modern warfare... Neither of them taught me how to shoot civilians! Especially the latter!

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]before i state ANYTHING, i want to point out i don't believe games can teach you to fire a gun.however with that said, games with snipers, bullet drop and other things, can at least teach a person more about bullets, like they drop over time, and depending on how accurate the game is, teach about how far you could expect to be accurate with a specific gun.i believe that if a game is accurate, you can assess how much recould you get from a particular weapon, and be more ready than someone who never fired it before. i do believe that with iron sights in games now, it can teach you how you want to look down a gun to be accurate, something many have trouble with when they first start shooting. i don't believe you can train in modern warfare, but i do believe it will give you an idea.[/citation]
It's like watching Schuhmacher driving a car and then winning Formula 1 race... Hahahahha :D
Games don't teach you anything.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Delengowski[/nom]I can understand what you are saying, but there is still more to the ballistics of bullets than guns in say battlefield account for. Just because you know how to account for bullet drop and leading a target from a video game, doesn't mean you can do it in real life. Sure if you are trying to hit someone far away on the run you know aim ahead and high BUT you also have to "dope your scope" you know dial in on your target in real life unlike in video games which are all preset. Video games also don't account for handling of the gun, not all guns jump up from recoil, some go down, but in video games they all go up and to the right or left a little.Also, like Mortsmi7 said none of this information is exactly a guarded secrete watch any sniper show or read up online and you can find anything you can from a game if not more.[/citation]

and the scope thing, yea, thats true, but it doesn't take much to learn, may not master, but lets look at it this way, most of the information you need about handling a gun can be learned in 1 clip, and at 20 yards, most guns (asside pistols) can get the job done by even an amature, if i remember the details right, he used a rifle, within that range.

also take note i said how accurate the game is.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]Draven35[/nom]Call of Duty doesn't teach you actual gun handling any more than Skyrim teaches you how to do magic.[/citation]
+1 Well said!!!!

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Guns really aren't that hard to shoot.

Video games do teach you some things about warfare... tactics, that sort of thing.

It is meaningless though. You can't tie the video game into the act. Its like blaming schools on white collar crime.... If only Maddoff never got an MBA.... .

G

I practiced taking an arrow in the knee by playing skyrim,

also, don't worry when the zombie apocalypse comes - I played COD too, I 'trained' to level 64 on zombies on black ops, based on these reports, If I continue to run around a mansion in an anticlock wise fashion, whist drinking red bull, upgrading my lasergun and keeping an eye on my team mates - the zombies are ******!!

BSMonitor

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
It's ok. The same people who claim video game violence leads to these types of incidents, also belong to the NRA and think that everyone having guns would solve all the problems of gun related violence.

dreadlokz

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
I play FPS since 007 in Nintendo64... I was, dunno, 12yo by them... can't even remember, and I still play all FPS I can get my hands on... more then 10 years later, I never had a gun in my hans, and if I do, I still don't know how to use it ;p Never wanted to shoot ppl dead... no funny in that! Funny is how they did to Saddan... now THAT teaches you something ;p I want to be good, want to hang bad ppl, like the USA =)

averoth

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
A lot of these comments are spot on. Modern Warfare or any war "simulation" game teaches nothing about real world marksmanship. Googling windage and elevation adjustments, or how to sight in a rifle, etc... gives MUCH more valuable information than some video game.

He could have practiced all day in MW and it wouldn't have done a damn thing for him. Looking through a real holographic sight like an Eotech is vastly different than looking at its digital representation on a screen. Also you can't just throw a sight on a rifle and be dead on accurate and MW doesn't teach you how to correct that. So where did he learn? Honestly if he was shooting from 20 yards away he could have used a red dot sight for a bb gun and be accurate enough.

I know politicians will use this as firepower for their misinformed debates but hopefully there will be someone there who knows wtf they are talking about and put them in their place.

sardonicjester

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
[citation][nom]dontknownotsure[/nom]thank god he dosnt know arma2[/citation]

Haha. Exactly what I was thinking.

Mind you, I don't believe you can learn really anything from any war simulation/game. But if you were going to pick one, why would you pick one of the most unrealistic ones???? Haha. Might as well have used Halo to learn how to take a bullet in the face.

XZaapryca

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
There are those that would use tragedies like this just to garner fame for championing against the "cause" of said tragedy. There are those that are eager to place the blame on otherwise benign activities if for no other reason than to absolve themselves of blame. Rock'n roll, weed, Dungeons & Dragons, heavy metal, rap, Doom, etc... The bottom line is that as long as there are people there will be crazy people. No other stimuli is required to make crazy happen. It's all very amusing.

jankeke

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
Playing iracing won't make you a good driver. At best you can learn the layout of a track but that's it.

As many others have said, claiming he was able to do this because he "trained" on a very unrealistic game is bullshit.

Why not send him to Afghanistan to finish the job if he is so well and thoroughly trained ? Let's see how he fares.

Status
Not open for further replies.